Madison County, Florida Records
Madison County is bordered by Brooks County, Georgia (north), Lowndes County, Georgia (northeast), Hamilton County (east), Suwannee County (southeast), Lafayette County (southeast), Taylor County (southwest), Jefferson County (west).
Madison County Cities and Towns include Greenville, Lee, Madison.
A Map of Madison County, Florida contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Madison Co. Historical Events:
- This region did not have permanent white settlers until the 1820s, though Spanish explorers visited it and missions were established during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.
- There was considerable conflict here during the Seminole wars and much suffering during the reconstruction period.
- In 1880 at Madison, the county seat, the largest sea island cotton gin in Florida was established and it became the greatest sea island cotton market in the world, but declined when the boll weevil reached Florida.
- About 1685 what later came to be known as "Old Spanish Road" was built through this area.
- January 3, 1861, John C. McGehee of Madison County was made president of the Secession Convention.
Madison County, Florida Courthouse Records
Madison County, FL Courthouse
The Madison County Courthouse is located in Madison, Florida. Courthouse burned in 1876 and was replaced by one built in 1880 of brick. This building burned as well, in 1912, and was replaced in 1913 by the present courthouse. Learn More About State of Florida Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Madison county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Madison County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1831, Land Records from 1831, Probate Records from 1846 and Court Records from 1838. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Madison County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Madison County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Madison County, Florida Census Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830 (Florida Territory), 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1820-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1867-1945, 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Madison County, Florida Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 6, 1927 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Locations: Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 210, 1217 Pearl Street (Zip 32202), Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042; PH (904) 359-6900 Ext. 1029.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Madison County, Florida Resources
- State of Florida Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Florida
- Madison County Genealogical Society
- Madison County, Florida Message Boards
Madison County, Florida External Links
- Florida Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Madison County, Florida Books - Amazon
- Madison Co., Florida - FindaGrave
- Florida Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Madison County Courthouse History
- Madison County, Florida Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Florida (1823 - 1959)
- Madison Co. FLGenweb
- Madison County, Florida Ancestry Database Collections
- Madison County maps from Exploring Florida website
- Madison County, Florida Military Records