Siskiyou County, California Records
Siskiyou County, California (Map It) was created on March 22, 1852 from Klamath County and Shasta County. Siskiyou County was named for the word siskiyou. The origin of the word siskiyou is not known. One version is that it is the Chinook Indian word for “bob-tailed horse.” Another version, given in an argument before the state Senate in 1852, is that the French name Six Callieux, meaning “six-stone,” was given to a ford on the Umpqua River by Michel La Frambeau and a party of Hudson Bay company trappers in 1832, because six large stones or rocks lay in the river where they crossed. Still others attribute the name to a local tribe of Indians
Siskiyou County is bordered by Del Norte County (west), Humboldt County (southwest), Trinity County (south), Shasta County (south), Modoc County (east), Klamath County, Oregon (north), Jackson County, Oregon (north), Josephine County, Oregon (northwest) .
Siskiyou County Cities and Towns include Yreka, Dunsmuir, Montague, Mount Shasta, Tulelake, Weed, Dorris, Etna, Fort Jones .
Since its creation Siskiyou County boundries have changed to include these:
- Territory in Trinity County from 1850 to 1851, was in Klamath County from 1851 to 1852 when it was moved to the new county.
- Territory was in Shasta County from 1850 to 1852 when it was moved to the new county.
- Territory in Trinity County from 1850 to 1851, was in Klamath County from 1851 to 1875 when, on the death of Klamath County, it was added to Siskiyou County.
- Territory in Trinity County from 1850 to 1851, and in Klamath County from 1851 to 1857, was in Del Norte County from 1857 to 1887 when it was added to Siskiyou County.
- Territory which at one time was in Siskiyou County is now in Del Norte County, Humboldt County, and Modoc County
Siskiyou County, California Courthouse Records
Siskiyou County, CA Courthouse
Old Siskiyou County Courthouse
The Siskiyou County Courthouse is located in Yreka, California. Land was later added from counties Klamath (1875) and Del Norte (1887). Learn More About State of California Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Courthouse History - By order of county supervisors, Siskiyou's courthouse was to be "placed in the center of the public square in Yreka City," a foresight that residents say helped save the structure from town fires. The plaza was also the site, in 1895, of a lynching in which four men accused of murder were taken from the jail and hanged from a rail post placed between two small locust trees. The courthouse, one of the oldest in the state, remains in use and is the centerpiece of Yreka's Historic District.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research. Some early court records from the various courts may have been sent to the California State Archives. Besides court minutes and judgements, these records include tax lists, wills, deeds, estate inventories, and marriage bonds. The California State Archives has microfilm of selected county records, 1850–1919.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Siskiyou county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk. Some counties encompass land settled in the eighteenth century; their records pre-date county formation. Land transactions and vital records recorded in the county are at the county recorder's office. The county clerk general has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be in either place, depending on how filed.
- Siskiyou County Recorder-Clerk has Birth / Death Records from 1850 / 1873, Marriage Records from 1852 and Land Records from 1852. The County Recorder-Clerk is s responsible for examination and recording of all documents presented for recording that deal with establishing ownership of land in the County or as required by statute; administers the real property transfer tax law and maintains a permanent record and indexes of all documents for public viewing plus providing certified copies requested by the public; recording of all lawful documents such as deeds, deeds of trust, judgments, liens, affidavits, Uniform Commercial Code Financial Statements, etc; and the filing of Births, Deaths, and Marriages.
- Siskiyou County Clerk of Superior Court has Probate Records from 1852 and Court Records from 1852. The County Clerk of Superior Court has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be here or in the Recorders Office, depending on how it was filed.
- Siskiyou County County Treasurer / Tax Collector
- Local Registrar of Births and Deaths, 311 Fourth Street, Room 108, Yreka, CA 96098; Office (530) 842-8065
Siskiyou County, California Census Records
- Learn More: State of California Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: Voter Registers, 1866-1898, Voter Registrations, 1900-1968
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Siskiyou County, California Vital Records
- Learn More: State of California Vital Records
- Birth Records: from July 1905 to present.
- Marriage Records: Indexes from 1949-1986 and 1998-1999.
- Death Records: from July 1905 to present. See Local County Recorder
- Divorce Records: from 1962 and June, 1984. See local County Circuit or County Chancery Clerk.
- Locations: California Department of Public Health, Vital Records, – MS 5103, 1501 Capitol Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95814; PH (916) 445-1719 or (916) 445-2684
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Siskiyou County, California Resources
Siskiyou County, California External Links
- California Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Siskiyou County, California Books - Amazon
- Siskiyou Co., California - FindaGrave
- California Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- California Pioneer Project
- Siskiyou County History
- Siskiyou County, California Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from California (1813 - 1978)
- Siskiyou Co. CAGenweb
- Siskiyou County, California Ancestry Database Collections
- Siskiyou County, California Military Records