Marion County, Arkansas Records
Other county boundry changes occured when W boundary defined 18 November 1837, line with Carroll defined 18 December 1846, part annexed from Fulton 18 January 1855, line with Van Buren defined 29 January 1855, line with Boone defined 9 December 1875, line changed with Baxter 9 March 1881. Marion County was named in honor of Francis Marion (1732–1795), an American general during the Revolutionary War.
Marion County Cities and Towns include Bull Shoals, Flippin, Pyatt, Summit, Yellville.
A Map of Marion County, Arkansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries..
Marion County, Arkansas Courthouse Records
Marion County, AR Courthouse
The Marion County Courthouse is located in Yellville, Arkansas. Arkansas History Commission sources say a courthouse fire in 1888 destroyed many of the records. Learn More About State of Arkansas Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Marion county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Marion County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from ?, Land Records from 1859 and Divorce Records are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Arkansas Department of Public Health. The County Clerk of Circuit Court is the clerk of the circuit, chancery court, and juvenile court and usually acts as the ex-officio recorder of the county. The duties of the clerk are to maintain a record of all proceedings of the circuit, chancery and juvenile courts and to prepare the dockets for courts. They are also the ex-officio county recorder; and is responsible for recording deeds, mortgages, liens, and surety bonds, and many other orders and instruments which involve property within the county.
- Marion County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1876 and has Probate Records from 1886. The County Clerk, as clerk to the probate court, the clerk files all instruments making them a matter of record in descendent estate cases, and swears in all witnesses in contested estates. The clerk, also in this capacity, maintains all records relative to adoptions and guardianship cases.
- Marion County Assessor's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Marion County Health Department
Marion County, Arkansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Arkansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1819-1870
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Marion County, Arkansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Arkansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from February 1, 1914 to present.
- Marriage Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1923 to present. Full certified copy may be obtained from the County Circuit or Chancery Clerk.
- Locations: Arkansas Office of Vital Records, 4815 W. Markham Street, Slot 44, Little Rock, AR 72205; (602) 364-1300, 501-661-2336, 800-637-9314
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Marion County, Arkansas Resources
Marion County, Arkansas External Links
- Arkansas Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Marion County, Arkansas Books - Amazon
- Marion Co., Arkansas - FindaGrave
- Arkansas Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Marion Co. ARGenweb
- Marion County, Arkansas Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Arkansas (1819 - 1999)
- Marion County, Arkansas Ancestry Database Collections
- Marion County, Arkansas Military Records