Madison County, Arkansas Records
Other county boundry changes occured when W boundary changed 30 November 1838, line with Carroll defined 1 January and 20 January 1843, line with Newton defined 21 December 1848, line with Carroll defined 29 December 1854 and 15 January 1857, part annexed to Carroll 8 April 1869. Madison County was named in honor of James Madison (1751–1836), 4th President of the United States.
Madison County is bordered by Carroll County (north), Newton County (east), Johnson County (southeast), Franklin County (south), Crawford County (southwest), Washington County (west), Benton County (northwest).
Madison County Cities and Towns include Hindsville, Huntsville, St. Paul, Delaney, Kingston, Marble, Clifty, Forum, Weathers, Witter, Japton, Combs, Pettigrew, Wesley, Aurora.
A Map of Madison County, Arkansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries..
Madison County, Arkansas Courthouse Records
Madison County, AR Courthouse
The Madison County Courthouse is located in Huntsville, Arkansas. It was reported the probate records complete from 1860; county court records complete from 1873; will records complete from 1880; deed records complete from 1843. A fire in 1902 destroyed deed record A and all will records except those recorded on court records. Learn More About State of Arkansas Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Madison county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Madison County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1866, Land Records from 1843 and Divorce Records are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Arkansas Department of Public Health. The County Clerk of Circuit Court is the clerk of the circuit, chancery court, and juvenile court and usually acts as the ex-officio recorder of the county. The duties of the clerk are to maintain a record of all proceedings of the circuit, chancery and juvenile courts and to prepare the dockets for courts. They are also the ex-officio county recorder; and is responsible for recording deeds, mortgages, liens, and surety bonds, and many other orders and instruments which involve property within the county.
- Madison County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1896 and has Probate Records from 1860. The County Clerk, as clerk to the probate court, the clerk files all instruments making them a matter of record in descendent estate cases, and swears in all witnesses in contested estates. The clerk, also in this capacity, maintains all records relative to adoptions and guardianship cases.
- Madison County Assessor's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Madison County Health Department
Madison County, Arkansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Arkansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1819-1870
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Madison County, Arkansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Arkansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from February 1, 1914 to present.
- Marriage Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1923 to present. Full certified copy may be obtained from the County Circuit or Chancery Clerk.
- Locations: Arkansas Office of Vital Records, 4815 W. Markham Street, Slot 44, Little Rock, AR 72205; (602) 364-1300, 501-661-2336, 800-637-9314
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Madison County, Arkansas Resources
- Madison County Genealogical & Historical Society
- Northwest Arkansas Genealogical Society
- Madison County, Arkansas Message Boards
Madison County, Arkansas External Links
- Arkansas Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Madison County, Arkansas Books - Amazon
- Madison Co., Arkansas - FindaGrave
- Arkansas Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Madison Co. ARGenweb
- Madison County, Arkansas Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Arkansas (1819 - 1999)
- Madison County, Arkansas Ancestry Database Collections
- Madison County, Arkansas Military Records