Tallapoosa County, Alabama Records
Tallapoosa County, Alabama (Map It) was created on December 18, 1832 from land acquired from the Creek Cession of Mar 24, 1832. Tallapoosa County received its present dimensions in 1866. Tallapoosa county was named for the Tallapoosa River. Tallapoosa is believed to mean "pulverized rock," in the Choctaw Indian language. .
Tallapoosa County is bordered by Clay County (north), Randolph County (northeast), Chambers County (east), Lee County (southeast), Macon County (south), Elmore County (southwest), Coosa County (west).
Tallapoosa County Cities and Towns include Alexander City, Camp Hill, Dadeville, Daviston, Goldville, Jacksons' Gap, New Site, Tallassee, Reeltown.
A Map of Tallapoosa County, Alabama contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries. There is a collection of old Alabama maps at MapGeeks.org
Tallapoosa County, Alabama Courthouse Records
Tallapoosa County, AL Courthouse
The Tallapoosa County Courthouse is located in Dadeville, Alabama. The county seat was at Okfuskee (1832-38), since 1838, it has been at Dadeville, which was named for Major Francis Langhorne Dade who died in the Seminole War.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Tallapoosa county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Tallapoosa County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from ? and has Divorce Records prior to 1950.
- Tallapoosa County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1834, Probate Records from 1838 and Land Records from 1832.
- Tallapoosa County Revenue Commissioner's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Tallapoosa County Health Department has Birth Records from N/A, Death records from N/A.
Tallapoosa County, Alabama Census Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1820-1866
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Tallapoosa County, Alabama Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1908 to present.
- Marriage Records: from August 1936 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1950 to present.
- Locations: Alabama Office of Vital Statistics, The RSA Tower, 201 Monroe Street, Montgomery, Alabama 36104.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificate Applications.
Tallapoosa County, Alabama Resources
- State of Alabama Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Alabama
- Tallapoosa County Historical Society, 1426 Cherokee Road, Alexander City, AL 35010
- Horseshoe Bend Regional Library, 256-825-9232
- Tallapoosa County, Alabama Message Boards
Tallapoosa County, Alabama External Links
- Alabama Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Tallapoosa County, Alabama Books - Amazon
- Tallapoosa Co., Alabama - FindaGrave
- Alabama Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Gold Mining History, Tallapoosa County, Alabama
- Horseshoe Bend National Military Park
- Tallapoosa Co. ALGenweb
- Alabama Newspaper Archives (1813 - 2003)
- Tallapoosa County, Alabama Links - Cyndi's List
- Tallapoosa County, Alabama Ancestry Database Collections
- Tallapoosa County, Alabama Military Records