Butler County, Alabama Records
Butler County, Alabama (Map It) was created on December 13, 1819 from parts of Monroe County and Conecuh County. Butler county was named in honor of Capt. William Butler, a soldier of the Creek War of 1813-14.
Butler County Cities and Towns include Georgiana, Greenville, McKenzie.
A Map of Butler County, Alabama contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries. There is a collection of old Alabama maps at MapGeeks.org
Butler County, Alabama Courthouse Records
Butler County, AL Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Butler county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Butler County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1853 and has Divorce Records prior to 1950.
- Butler County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1853, Probate Records from 1853 and Land Records from 1853.
- Butler County Assessor's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Butler County Health Department has Birth Records from 1886- MAY 1891,MAR 1894-NOV 1919, delayed birth Cert. Rec. 1870-1930, Death record from MAR 1894-NOV 1919.
Butler County, Alabama Census Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1820-1866
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Butler County, Alabama Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1908 to present.
- Marriage Records: from August 1936 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1950 to present.
- Locations: Alabama Office of Vital Statistics, The RSA Tower, 201 Monroe Street, Montgomery, Alabama 36104.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificate Applications.
Butler County, Alabama Resources
- State of Alabama Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Alabama
- Butler County Historical Society
- Butler County, Alabama Message Boards
Butler County, Alabama External Links
- Alabama Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Butler County, Alabama Books - Amazon
- Butler Co., Alabama - FindaGrave
- Alabama Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Butler Co. ALGenweb
- Alabama Newspaper Archives (1813 - 2003)
- Butler County, Alabama Links - Cyndi's List
- Butler County, Alabama Ancestry Database Collections
- Butler County, Alabama Military Records