Winnebago County, Wisconsin Records
Winnebago County, Wisconsin (Map It) was created on January 6, 1840 from Brown County, Calumet County, Fond du Lac County and Marquette County. The county was named for the Winnebago nation of Native Americans.Learn More About State of Wisconsin History
Winnebago County Cities, Towns and Villiages include Appleton, Menasha, Neenah, Omro, Oshkosh, Algoma, Black Wolf, Clayton, Menasha, Neenah, Nekimi, Nepeuskun, Omro, Oshkosh, Poygan, Rushford, Utica, Vinland, Winchester, Winneconne, Wolf River, Winneconne.
A Map of Winnebago County, Wisconsin contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Winnebago County, Wisconsin Courthouse Records
Winnebago County, WI Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records. Winnebago County was attached Brown County for county and judicial purposes from 1840–44;; Fond du Lac County, 1844–47. Some early records may be found there.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Winnebago county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Winnebago County Register of Deeds has Birth Records from 1876, Marriage Records from 1848, Death Records from 1863 and Land Records from 1837. The purpose of the Register of Deeds is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Winnebago County Register in Probate Office has Probate Records from 1838. The Probate Office has the responsibility to maintain and update files regarding probate of estates, guardianships, protective placements, adoptions and mental commitments. This is a statutory office with the position of Register in Probate filled by judicial appointment.
- Winnebago County Clerk of Court Office has Court Records from 1848. The Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Winnebago County Treasurers Office collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
Winnebago County, Wisconsin Census Records
- Learn More: State of Wisconsin Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1842, 1846, 1847, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1885, 1895, 1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Winnebago County, Wisconsin Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Wisconsin Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage,Divorce and Death Records: from October 1, 1907. State Office has scattered records earlier than 1857 and records before 1907, are very incomplete.
- Locations: Wisconsin Office of Vital Statistics, Wisconsin State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Wisconsin Vital Records Office, 1 West Wilson Street, Room 160, Madison, WI 53703
Winnebago County, Wisconsin Resources
- Hmong Cultural and Historical Society, 502 Waugoo Ave, Oshkosh, WI 54901; Phone: 920-426-4953
- Menasha Historical Society
- Neenah Historical Society
- Omro Area Historical Society
- Winchester Area Historical Society
- Winnebago County Historical and Archeological Society
- Winnebagoland Genealogical Society
- Winneconne Historical Society
- Winnebago County, Wisconsin Message Boards
Winnebago County, Wisconsin External Links
- Wisconsin Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Wisconsin (1837 - 1992)
- Appleton Post Crescent (Appleton, Wisconsin)
- The Daily Northwestern (Oshkosh, Wisconsin)
- Oshkosh Daily Northwestern (Oshkosh, Wisconsin)
- Post Crescent (Appleton, Wisconsin)
- The Oshkosh Northwestern (Oshkosh, Wisconsin)
- Neenah Menasha Northwestern (Oshkosh, Wisconsin)
- Appleton Post (Appleton, Wisconsin)
- Appleton Motor (Appleton, Wisconsin)
- Appleton Crescent (Appleton, Wisconsin)
- Oshkosh Democrat (Oshkosh, Wisconsin)
- Oshkosh True Democrat (Oshkosh, Wisconsin)
- The Appleton Daily Post (Appleton, Wisconsin)
- Neenah Menasha Daily Northwestern (Oshkosh, Wisconsin)
- Neenah Bulletin (Neenah, Wisconsin)
- Oshkosh Northwestern (Oshkosh, Wisconsin)
- Winnebago Anzeiger (Menasha, Wisconsin)
- Winnebago County, Wisconsin Books - Amazon
- Winnebago County, Oshkosh Wisconsin, Census, 1870
- Winnebago Co., Wisconsin - FindaGrave
- Winnebago County, Wisconsin Links - Cyndi's List
- Winnebago Co. WIGenweb
- Winnebago County, Wisconsin Ancestry Database Collections
- Wisconsin Public Land Survey Records: Original Field Notes & Plat Maps for Winnebago County
- Winnebago County, Wisconsin Military Records
- Appleton, Wisconsin Directories, 1884-98