Walworth County, Wisconsin Records
Walworth County is bordered by Waukesha County (northeast), Racine County (east), Kenosha County (east), McHenry County, Illinois (southeast), Boone County, Illinois (southwest), Rock County (west), Jefferson County (northwest).
Walworth County Cities, Towns and Villiages include Burlington, Delavan, Elkhorn, Lake Geneva, Whitewater, Bloomfield, Darien, Delavan, East Troy, Geneva, La Grange, Lafayette, Linn, Lyons, Richmond, Sharon, Spring Prairie, Sugar Creek, Troy, Walworth, Whitewater, Darien, East Troy, Fontana-on-Geneva Lake, Genoa City, Mukwonago, Sharon, Walworth, Williams Bay.
A Map of Walworth County, Wisconsin contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Walworth County, Wisconsin Courthouse Records
Walworth County, WI Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records.Walworth County was attached to Racine County for county and judicial purposes from 1836–38. Some early records may be found there.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Walworth county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Walworth County Register of Deeds has Birth Records from 1872, Marriage Records from 1839, Death Records from 1872 and Land Records from 1839. The purpose of the Register of Deeds is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Walworth County Register in Probate Office has Probate Records from 1839. The Probate Office has the responsibility to maintain and update files regarding probate of estates, guardianships, protective placements, adoptions and mental commitments. This is a statutory office with the position of Register in Probate filled by judicial appointment.
- Walworth County Clerk of Court Office has Court Records from 1840. The Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Walworth County Treasurers Office collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
Walworth County, Wisconsin Census Records
- Learn More: State of Wisconsin Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1842, 1846, 1847, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1885, 1895, 1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Walworth County, Wisconsin Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Wisconsin Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage,Divorce and Death Records: from October 1, 1907. State Office has scattered records earlier than 1857 and records before 1907, are very incomplete.
- Locations: Wisconsin Office of Vital Statistics, Wisconsin State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Wisconsin Vital Records Office, 1 West Wilson Street, Room 160, Madison, WI 53703
Walworth County, Wisconsin Resources
- Walworth County Genealogical Society
- Walworth County Historical Society
- Whitewater Historical Society
- Area Research Center - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater
- East Troy Area Historical Society
- Geneva Lake History Buffs
- Sharon Historical Preservation Society
- Walworth County, Wisconsin Message Boards
Walworth County, Wisconsin External Links
- Wisconsin Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Wisconsin (1837 - 1992)
- Western Star (Elkhorn, Wisconsin)
- The Wisconsin Standard (Geneva, Wisconsin)
- Walworth County, Wisconsin Books - Amazon
- Walworth Co., Wisconsin - FindaGrave
- Walworth County, Wisconsin Links - Cyndi's List
- Walworth Co. WIGenweb
- Walworth County, Wisconsin Ancestry Database Collections
- Wisconsin Public Land Survey Records: Original Field Notes & Plat Maps for Walworth County
- Walworth County, Wisconsin Military Records