Door County, Wisconsin Records
Door County, Wisconsin (Map It) was created on February 11, 1851 from Brown County. The county was named for a dangerous water passage near Door Peninsula known as porte des morts, or "door of the dead" in French.Learn More About State of Wisconsin History
Door County is bordered by Kewaunee County (south).
Door County Cities, Towns and Villiages include Sturgeon Bay, Baileys Harbor, Brussels, Clay Banks, Egg Harbor, Forestville, Gardner, Gibraltar, Jacksonport, Liberty Grove, Nasewaupee, Sevastopol, Union, Washington, Egg Harbor, Ephraim, Forestville, Sister Bay.
A Map of Door County, Wisconsin contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Door County, Wisconsin Courthouse Records
Door County, WI Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records. Door County was attached to Manitowoc County for judicial purposes from 1851–55 and Brown County for county and judicial purposes from 1855–60. Some early records may be found there.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Door county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Door County Register of Deeds has Birth Records from 1852, Marriage Records from 1856, Death Records from 1856 and Land Records from 1857. The purpose of the Register of Deeds is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Door County Register in Probate Office has Probate Records from 1861. The Probate Office has the responsibility to maintain and update files regarding probate of estates, guardianships, protective placements, adoptions and mental commitments. This is a statutory office with the position of Register in Probate filled by judicial appointment.
- Door County Clerk of Court Office has Court Records from 1861. The Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Door County Treasurers Office collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
Door County, Wisconsin Census Records
- Learn More: State of Wisconsin Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1855, 1865, 1875, 1885, 1895, 1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Door County, Wisconsin Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Wisconsin Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage,Divorce and Death Records: from October 1, 1907. State Office has scattered records earlier than 1857 and records before 1907, are very incomplete.
- Locations: Wisconsin Office of Vital Statistics, Wisconsin State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Wisconsin Vital Records Office, 1 West Wilson Street, Room 160, Madison, WI 53703
Door County, Wisconsin Resources
- Door County Historical Society
- Jacksonport Historical Society
- Area Research Center - University of Wisconsin - Green Bay
- Door County, Wisconsin Message Boards
Door County, Wisconsin External Links
- Wisconsin Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Wisconsin (1837 - 1992)
- Door County, Wisconsin Books - Amazon
- Door Co., Wisconsin - FindaGrave
- History of Door County, Wisconsin : the county beautiful
- Old peninsula days : tales and sketches of the Door Peninsula
- Door County, Wisconsin Links - Cyndi's List
- Door Co. WIGenweb
- Door County, Wisconsin Ancestry Database Collections
- Wisconsin Public Land Survey Records: Original Field Notes & Plat Maps for Door County
- Door County, Wisconsin Military Records