Walla Walla County, Washington Records
Walla Walla County, Washington (Map It) was created on April 25, 1854 from Skamania County. The county was named for the Walla Walla Native American tribe, and also another name for running water. The Whitmans established a mission here in 1836. In 1855, Governor Isaac Stevens organized a great council with the Indians and signed treaties establishing reservations throughout the Northwest. The establishment of the MuIlan Road through the county in 1858 brought permanent settlers and many more when gold was discovered in Idaho and the town of WalIa Walla became a supply center for the mines. The transcontinental railroad arrived in the county in 1875 and began an era of great prosperity in agriculture and related industries. Today the county, with its rich soil and lengthy growing season, produces and ships grain, and is also a major vegetable growing and food processing center. Three colleges and a number of state and federal facilities contribute to the county’s economy. .
Walla Walla County Cities and Towns include Burbank, College Place, Dixie, Garrett, Prescott, Touchet, Waitsburg, Walla Walla, Walla Walla East, Wallula..
A Map of Walla Walla County, Washington contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Walla Walla County, Washington Courthouse Records
Walla Walla County, WA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
The Walla Walla County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, court records, and so forth.
- Walla Walla County Auditor has Birth and Death Records from 1883 to 1907, Marriage Records from 1862 and Land Records from 1859. The County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense.
- Walla Walla County Clerk has Court Records from 1859 and Probate Records from 1860 . The County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments. For judicial purposes, many of the Washington counties were attached to other counties.
- Walla Walla County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office.
- The Walla Walla County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait.
Walla Walla County, Washington Census Records
- Learn More: State of Washington Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State and Territorial Population Schedules: 1857-1892
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Walla Walla County, Washington Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Washington Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1907 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from January 1, 1968 to present
- Locations: Washington Department of Health
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth / Death Certificate or the Marriage / Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Center for Health Statistics, Department of Health, 101 Israel Road SE, Tumwater, WA 98501
Walla Walla County, Washington Resources
- Washington State Archives, Eastern Washington Regional Archives
- Walla Walla Valley Genealogical Society
- Walla Walla County, Washington Message Boards
- Walla Walla County, Washington Genealogy Forum
- Washington State Digital Archives
Walla Walla County, Washington External Links
- Washington Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Washington (1890 - 1984)
- Walla Walla Union Bulletin (Walla Walla, Washington)
- Walla Walla County, Washington Books - Amazon
- Index to the 1880 census of Walla Walla County, Washington Territory
- Tombstone inscriptions of Walla Walla County, Washington.
- Walla Walla Co., Washington - FindaGrave
- Historic sketches of Walla Walla, Whitman, Columbia and Garfield Counties, Washington Territory, and Umatilla County, Oregon
- An illustrated history of Walla Walla County, state of Washington
- Walla Walla County, Washington Links - Cyndi's List
- Walla Walla Co. WAGenweb
- Walla Walla County, Washington Ancestry Database Collections
- Walla Walla County, Washington Military Records
- Washington, Postmaster Indexes, Prior to 1965
- Washington gazetteer and business directory : 1901-1902.