Nelson County, Virginia Records
Nelson County, Virginia (Map It) was created in December 23, 1807 from Amherst County . Nelson county was named for Thomas Nelson Jr., governor of Virginia and signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Nelson County Cities and Towns include no cities or incorporated towns in Nelson County. Unincorporated communities include but are not limited to Afton, Arrington, Bryant, Lovingston, Massies Mill, Montebello, Nellysford, Roseland, Schuyler, Shipman, Wingina, Gladstone, Tyro .
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Virginia maps.
Nelson County, Virginia Courthouse Records
Nelson County, VA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH . Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The Nelson County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, military discharges and court records.
- Nelson County Clerk of Circuit Court has Marriage Records from 1808, Land Records from 1808, Court Records from 1808 and Probate Records from 1808.
- Nelson County (VA) Treasurer
- Nelson County Health Department
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes
Nelson County, Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Nelson County, Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1853 to December 1896 and since June 14, 1912 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896
- Marriage Records: from January 1853 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of marriage records prior to 1936.
- Divorce Records: from January 1918 to present.
- Locations: Virginia Office of Vital Statistics, Virginia State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: 2001 Maywill Street, Richmond, Virginia 23230
Nelson County, Virginia Resources
- State of Virginia Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Virginia
- Nelson County Historical Society
- Nelson County, Virginia Message Boards
- Nelson County, Virginia Genealogy Forum
- Nelson County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Nelson Co. Virginia
Nelson County, Virginia External Links
- Virginia Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Virginia (1784 - 1922 )
- Nelson County, Virginia Books - Amazon
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- Virginia County Records, Volume , VI, VII , IX, X The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- Nelson Co., Virginia - FindaGrave
- History of Nelson County, VA
- Nelson County, Virginia Links - Cyndi's List
- Nelson Co. VAGenweb
- Nelson County, Virginia Ancestry Database Collections
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units
- Nelson County, Virginia Military Records