Accomack County, Virginia Records
Accomack County, Virginia (Map It) was created in 1663 as one of the original eight shires established in 1634. One of the original eight shires established in 1634. It was renamed Northampton in 1642. In 1663 Northampton was divided into two counties and the northern half got back its original name,but spelled Accomac. Temporarily abolished, 1670, restored 1673. It was renamed Accomack County in 1940. Accomack county was named for the Native American word Accawmack, meaning "on the other side", referencing the county's position across Chesapeake Bay.
Accomack County is bordered by Somerset County, Maryland (northwest), Worcester County, Maryland (northeast), Northampton County (south), Middlesex County (west), Lancaster County (west), Northumberland County (west).
Accomack County Cities and Towns include Accomac, Belle Haven, Bloxom, Chincoteague, Hallwood, Keller, Melfa, Onancock, Onley, Painter, Parksley, Saxis, Tangier and Wachapreague
Accomack County, Virginia Courthouse Records
Accomack County, VA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH . Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The Accomack County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, military discharges and court records.
- Accomack County Clerk of Circuit Court has Marriage Records from 1774, Land Records from 1663, Court Records from 1695 and Probate Records from 1663.
- Accomack County Assessor's Office
- Accomack County Health Department
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes
Accomack County, Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: Virginia Heads of families 1790: records of the state enumerations, 1782 to 1785
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Accomack County, Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1853 to December 1896 and since June 14, 1912 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896
- Marriage Records: from January 1853 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of marriage records prior to 1936.
- Divorce Records: from January 1918 to present.
- Locations: Virginia Office of Vital Statistics, Virginia State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: 2001 Maywill Street, Richmond, Virginia 23230
Accomack County, Virginia Resources
- State of Virginia Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Virginia
- Eastern Shore of Virginia Historical Society
- Cape Charles Historical Society
- Genealogy and History of the Eastern Shore (GHOTES)
- Lower DelMarVa Genealogy Society
- Cape Charles Historical Society
- Eastern Shore Public Library
- Accomack County, Virginia Message Boards
- Accomack County, Virginia Genealogy Forum
- Accomack County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Accomack Co. Virginia
Accomack County, Virginia External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Virginia (1784 - 1922 )
- Accomack County, Virginia Books - Amazon
- Accomack County, Virginia Births, 1882-92
- Accomack County, Virginia Births, 1893-96
- Accomack County, Virginia Births, 1866-73
- Accomack County, Virginia Births, 1853-65
- Accomack County, Virginia Births, 1878-81
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- Virginia County Records, Volume , VI, VII , IX, X The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- Accomack Co., Virginia - FindaGrave
- Accomack County, Virginia History
- Accomack County, Virginia Links - Cyndi's List
- Accomack Co. VAGenweb
- Accomack County, Virginia Ancestry Database Collections
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units
- Accomack County, Virginia Military Records