Warren County, New Jersey Records
Warren County, New Jersey (Map It) was created on November 20, 1824 from Sussex County. The county was named in honor of American Revolutionary War General Joseph Warren (1741–1775), killed at the Battle of Bunker Hill.
Warren County is bordered by Sussex County (northeast), Morris County (east), Bucks County, Pennsylvania (south), Hunterdon County (south), Northampton County, Pennsylvania (west), Monroe County, Pennsylvania (northwest) .
Warren County Cities and Towns include Belvidere, Hackettstown, Phillipsburg. Communities include Allamuchy-Panther Valley, Beattystown, Brass Castle, Great Meadows-Vienna, Johnsonburg, Rivers Bear Creek, Beaver Brook, Cory's Brook, Dead River, Delaware River, Lopatcong Creek, Musconetcong River, Paulins Kill, Pequest River, Pohatcong Creek, Pophandusing Creek, Yard's Creek.
Warren County Townships include Allamuchy, Alpha, Belvidere, Blairstown, Franklin, Frelinghuysen, Greenwich, Hackettstown, Hardwick, Harmony, Hope, Independence, Knowlton, Liberty, Lopatcong, Mansfield, Oxford, Phillipsburg, Pohatcong, Washington Twp, and White. Boroughs include Alpha, Washington.
A Map of Warren County, New Jersey contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Warren County, New Jersey Courthouse Records
Warren County, NJ Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Warren county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Warren County Clerk has Land Records from 1825 and Marriage Records from 1825. The County Clerk is responsible for land records, including deeds and mortgages, naturalizations, marriages (usually 1795-1840s), and various county court records. A few original county justice of the peace dockets are at the New Jersey State Archives.
- Warren County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court has Probate Records from 1825. The County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court probates Wills, appoints Administrators, appoints Guardians for minors, handles applications for Adult Incapacitated Persons, Conservatorships, Adoptions, contested Probate matters, Accountings, Trusts and most other matters involving Estates.
- Warren County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- New Jersey Department of Health has copies of Birth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Warren County, New Jersey Census Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1643-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1895
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Warren County, New Jersey Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1901 to present
- Divorce Records: does not have divorce records. At the Superior Court of New Jersey Records Center
- Locations: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, New Jersey State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, State Registrar Search Unit, PO Box 370, Trenton, NJ 08625-0370; (609) 292-4087
Warren County, New Jersey Resources
- Warren County Historical and Genealogical Society
- Warren County Cultural & Heritage Commission
- Hackettstown Historical Society
- Phillipsburg Area Historical Society
- Warren County, New Jersey Message Boards
- Warren County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Warren County
Warren County, New Jersey External Links
- Historical Newspapers from New Jersey (1777 - 1972)
- Warren County, New Jersey Books - Amazon
- Hardwick and Mendham Monthly Meeting & Warren and Morris Counties, New Jersey: Quaker Records
- Maps of divisions of Warren and Sussex County estates filed at Newton, New Jersey between 1789-1918
- Warren Co., New Jersey - FindaGrave
- Inventory of the church archives of New Jersey
- About Warren County...Past and Present
- History and directory of Warren County, New Jersey
- History of Sussex and Warren Counties, New Jersey
- History of Warren County, N.J.
- Warren County, New Jersey Links - Cyndi's List
- Warren Co. NJGenweb
- Warren County, New Jersey Ancestry Database Collections
- Warren County, New Jersey Military Records