Passaic County, New Jersey Records
Passaic County Cities and Towns include Clifton, Passaic, Paterson. Communities include Haskell, Hewitt, Macopin, Newfoundland, Oak Ridge, Pines Lake, Packanack Lake, Preakness.
Passaic County Townships include Little Falls, Wayne, West Milford. Boroughs include Bloomingdale, Haledon, Hawthorne, North Haledon, Pompton Lakes, Prospect Park, Ringwood, Totowa, Wanaque, West Paterson.
A Map of Passaic County, New Jersey contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Passaic County, New Jersey Courthouse Records
Passaic County, NJ Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Passaic county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Passaic County Clerk has Land Records from 1837 and Marriage Records from 1837. The County Clerk is responsible for land records, including deeds and mortgages, naturalizations, marriages (usually 1795-1840s), and various county court records. A few original county justice of the peace dockets are at the New Jersey State Archives.
- Passaic County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court has Probate Records from 1837. The County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court probates Wills, appoints Administrators, appoints Guardians for minors, handles applications for Adult Incapacitated Persons, Conservatorships, Adoptions, contested Probate matters, Accountings, Trusts and most other matters involving Estates.
- Passaic County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- New Jersey Department of Health has copies of Birth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Passaic County, New Jersey Census Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1643-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1895
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Passaic County, New Jersey Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1901 to present
- Divorce Records: does not have divorce records. At the Superior Court of New Jersey Records Center
- Locations: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, New Jersey State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, State Registrar Search Unit, PO Box 370, Trenton, NJ 08625-0370; (609) 292-4087
Passaic County, New Jersey Resources
- Passaic Historian
- Passaic County Historical Society
- Jefferson Township Historical Society
- North Jersey Highlands Historical Society
- Passaic County, New Jersey Message Boards
- Passaic County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Passaic County
Passaic County, New Jersey External Links
- New Jersey Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from New Jersey (1777 - 1972)
- Passaic County, New Jersey Books - Amazon
- Census of Paterson, New Jersey, 1827-32
- Passaic Co., New Jersey - FindaGrave
- The First Presbyterian Church of Paterson, New Jersey
- Preakness and Preakness Reformed Church, Passaic County, New Jersey: Town History, 1695-1902
- Totowa, New Jersey Old Dutch Church Records, 1755-1827
- First Presbyterian Church, Paterson, N.J.
- Inscriptions from tombstones in the Old-Reformed Church burying-ground covering a period of 160 years, 1737-1897
- Inventory of the church archives of New Jersey
- Family Records or Genealogies of the First Settlers of Passaic Valley, New Jersey
- Passaic County, New Jersey Links - Cyndi's List
- Passaic Co. NJGenweb
- Paterson, New Jersey Directories, 1890-93
- Passaic County, New Jersey Ancestry Database Collections
- Passaic County, New Jersey Military Records