Nantucket County, Massachusetts Records
Nantucket County Cities and Towns include Nantucket.
Nantucket County, Massachusetts Courthouse Records
Nantucket County, MA Courthouse
Old Nantucket County Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research. For Town Records contact the City/Town Hall Clerk.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Nantucket county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Nantucket County Register of Deeds has Land Records from 1695. The County Register of Deeds is the place where all transactions of a Real Property nature are recorded so that the public is made aware of their existence. Deeds, mortgages, tax liens, water liens, declaration of homestead and many other kinds of documents regarding the title and ownership of real estate are noted permanently in official records.
- Nantucket County Clerk of Probate Court has Probate Records from 1706. The County Clerk of Probate Court has many responsibilities which include the administration of estates, probate of wills, and the appointment of guardians, have been under the jurisdiction of the courts since the 1630s. County courts and later, county judges of probate, were responsible for these functions until 1783, when the probate courts were established. In the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, the probate and family courts were given jurisdiction over adoptions, divorces, name changes, and domestic relations.
- Nantucket County Clerk of Courts has Court Records from 1721. The County Clerk of Courts has jurisdiction over all civil, criminal, and equity cases.
- Nantucket County Town Clerks has copies of vital records (birth, marriage, divorce and death records). Clerks respond to inquiries regarding vital records, since most have indexes available. They also have tax lists that may still be available at the town office. Earlier taxes for the towns exist as well.
Nantucket County, Massachusetts Census Records
- Learn More: State of Massachusetts Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1855, 1865
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Nantucket County, Massachusetts Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Massachusetts Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from late 1916 to present
- Divorce Records: Indexes from 1952 to present
- Locations: Massachusetts Office of Vital Statistics, Massachusetts State Archives (1841-1910)
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate Death Certificate Applications.
Nantucket County, Massachusetts Resources
- Nantucket Historical Association
- Nantucket County, Massachusetts Message Boards
- Nantucket County, Massachusetts Genealogy Boards
Nantucket County, Massachusetts External Links
- Massachusetts Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Nantucket County, Massachusetts Books - Amazon
- Nantucket Co., Massachusetts - FindaGrave
- Massachusetts Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Nantucket County, Massachusetts Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Massachusetts (1690 - 1992)
- Nantucket Co. MAGenweb
- Nantucket County, Massachusetts Ancestry Database Collections
- Nantucket County, Massachusetts Military Records
- Massachusetts City Directories