Hampshire County, Massachusetts Records
Hampshire County Cities and Towns include Amherst, Belchertown, Blandford, Chester, Chesterfield, Easthampton, Florence, Goshen, Granby, Hadley, Hatfield, Huntington, Leeds, Northampton, Pelham, Russell, South Hadley, Southampton, Ware, Westhampton, Williamsburg, and Worthington.
Hampshire County, Massachusetts Courthouse Records
Hampshire County, MA Courthouse
The Franklin County Courthouse is located in Greenfield, Massachusetts. The county government was abolished on July 1, 1997. Learn More About State of Massachusetts Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research. For Town Records contact the City/Town Hall Clerk.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Hampshire county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Hampshire County Register of Deeds has Land Records from 1812. The County Register of Deeds is the place where all transactions of a Real Property nature are recorded so that the public is made aware of their existence. Deeds, mortgages, tax liens, water liens, declaration of homestead and many other kinds of documents regarding the title and ownership of real estate are noted permanently in official records.
- Hampshire County Clerk of Probate Court has Probate Records from 1660. The County Clerk of Probate Court has many responsibilities which include the administration of estates, probate of wills, and the appointment of guardians, have been under the jurisdiction of the courts since the 1630s. County courts and later, county judges of probate, were responsible for these functions until 1783, when the probate courts were established. In the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, the probate and family courts were given jurisdiction over adoptions, divorces, name changes, and domestic relations.
- Hampshire County Clerk of Courts has Court Records from 1677. The County Clerk of Courts has jurisdiction over all civil, criminal, and equity cases.
- Hampshire County Town Clerks has copies of vital records (birth, marriage, divorce and death records). Clerks respond to inquiries regarding vital records, since most have indexes available. They also have tax lists that may still be available at the town office. Earlier taxes for the towns exist as well.
Hampshire County, Massachusetts Census Records
- Learn More: State of Massachusetts Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1855, 1865
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Hampshire County, Massachusetts Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Massachusetts Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from late 1916 to present
- Divorce Records: Indexes from 1952 to present
- Locations: Massachusetts Office of Vital Statistics, Massachusetts State Archives (1841-1910)
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate Death Certificate Applications.
Hampshire County, Massachusetts Resources
- Amherst Historical Society
- Chesterfield Historical Society, 66 East Street, Chesterfield, MA 01012; phone: 413-296-4750
- Hampshire County, Massachusetts Message Boards
- Hampshire County, Massachusetts Genealogy Boards
Hampshire County, Massachusetts External Links
- Massachusetts Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Hampshire County, Massachusetts Books - Amazon
- Hampshire Co., Massachusetts - FindaGrave
- Massachusetts Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Hampshire County, Massachusetts Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Massachusetts (1690 - 1992)
- Hampshire Co. MAGenweb
- Hampshire County, Massachusetts Ancestry Database Collections
- Hampshire County, Massachusetts Military Records
- Massachusetts City Directories