Cumberland County, Maine Records
Cumberland County, Maine (Map It) was created on March 28, 1760 from part of York County (originally Cumberland County, Massachusetts) . This county was named in honor of Prince William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, son of George II of Great Britain.
Cumberland County Cities and Towns include Baldwin, Bridgton, Brunswick, Cape Elizabeth, Casco, Chebeague Island, Cumberland, Falmouth, Freeport, Frye Island, Gorham, Gray, Harpswell, Harrison, Long Island, Naples, New Gloucester, North Yarmouth, Portland, Pownal, Raymond, Scarborough, Sebago, South Portland, Standish, Westbrook, Windham, Yarmouth.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Maine maps.
Cumberland County, Maine Courthouse Records
Cumberland County, ME Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Cumberland county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Cumberland County Registry of Deeds has Land Records:1760. The County Registry of Deeds is the place where all transactions of a Real Property nature are recorded so that the public is made aware of their existence. Deeds, mortgages, tax liens, water liens, declaration of homestead and many other kinds of documents regarding the title and ownership of real estate are noted permanently in official records.
- Cumberland County Clerk of Probate Court has Probate Records:1908; Fire loss; 1900-08 index survived.. The County Clerk of Probate Court has has had several relating definitions over the years: the Widows and Orphans Court; the Poor Court; and the Court of Protection. All of these terms fit the description of the Probate Court.The Probate Court carries out the following procedures: Adoptions, Guardianship of Minors, Guardianships, Conservatorships, Change of Names, Estates, Trusts and Beginning Sept. 18, 1999 - Support of Enforcement.
- Cumberland County Town Clerks has copies of vital records (birth, marriage, divorce and death records). Clerks respond to inquiries regarding vital records, since most have indexes available. Some of the Clerks records have been transfered to the Maine State Archives
Cumberland County, Maine Census Records
- Learn More: State of Maine Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1800-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Cumberland County, Maine Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Maine Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from 1923 to present. Records for 1892-1922 are available at the Maine State Archives
- Locations: Maine CDC office Vital Records, 244 Water Street, #11 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333-0011; PH: (207) 287-3181
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Cumberland County, Maine Resources
Cumberland County, Maine External Links
- Maine Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Cumberland County, Maine Books - Amazon
- Publishments, marriages, births and deaths from the earlier records of Gorham, Maine
- Cumberland Co., Maine - FindaGrave
- Maine Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Cumberland County, Maine Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Maine (1785–1945)
- Cumberland Co. MEGenweb
- Cumberland County, Maine Ancestry Database Collections
- Portland soldiers and sailors
- Cumberland County, Maine Military Records