Lafourche Parish, Louisiana Records
Lafourche Parish, Louisiana (Map It) was created on March 31, 1807 as Interior Parish, one of the original 19 parishes. Name changed to Lafourche Interior Parish from 1812-1853 (originally created on April 10, 1805 as Lafourche County, Louisana Territory as one of the original 12 counties). The parish was named for the French phrase la fourche or in English, the fork; Bayou Lafourche, or Fork Bayou, is a fork of the Mississippi River..
Lafourche Parish is bordered by St. James Parish (north), St. John the Baptist Parish (north), St. Charles Parish (northeast), Jefferson Parish (east), Terrebonne Parish (west), Assumption Parish (northwest).
Lafourche Parish Cities and Towns include Thibodaux , Golden Meadow, Lockport, Gheens.
A Map of Lafourche Parish, Louisiana contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Lafourche Parish, Louisiana Courthouse Records
Lafourche Parish, LA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Lafourche parish. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Lafourche Parish Clerk of Court has Marriage Records from 1808, Land Records from 1808, Probate Records from 1808 and Court Records from 1808. The Parish Clerk of Court performs the functions of more than one office. As the Recorder, the office of the Clerk of Court receives, files, records and indexes all mortgages, conveyances and all other instruments recorded in the Public Records for the Parish. The Clerk’s Office receives and files all pleadings, such as petitions, answers, motions and other filings in Civil and Probate matters, as well as indictments, bills of information and other filings in Criminal matters. Another function of the Clerk’s Office is the issuance of Marriage Licenses and recording their returns after the marriages are performed.
Lafourche Parish, Louisiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Louisiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Census Substitutes Index, 1791-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1699 Through 1732
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Lafourche Parish, Louisiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Louisiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from July 1914 to present
- Marriage Records: from 1914 to present
- Death Records: Certified copies available from the Clerk of the Court
- Divorce Records: Certified copies are available from the Clerk of the Court
- Locations: Louisiana Office of Vital Statistics, Louisiana State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth or Death Certificate Applications.
Lafourche Parish, Louisiana Resources
- Lafourche Heritage Society
- Terrebonne Genealogical Society
- La Societie Des Cajuns, P.O. Box 581, Golden Meadow, Louisiana 70357-0581
- Lafourche Parish, Louisiana Message Boards
- Lafourche Parish, Louisiana Genealogy Boards
Lafourche Parish, Louisiana External Links
- Louisiana Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Lafourche Parish, Louisiana Books - Amazon
- Lafourche Parish, Louisiana - FindaGrave
- Louisiana Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Lafourche Parish, Louisiana Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Louisiana (1805 - 1985)
- Lafourche Parish LAGenweb
- Lafourche Parish, Louisiana Ancestry Database Collections
- Lafourche Parish, Louisiana Military Records