Sherman County, Kansas Records
Sherman County, Kansas (Map It) was created on March 20, 1873 (Organized on 1886) from Unorganized Territory. The county was named in honor of General William Tecumseh Sherman (1820-1891),prominent Union Civil War general, most famous for his scorched-earth tactics during the Civil War, during the march from Atlanta to the sea. As general commander of the U.S. Army after 1869, he asserted that the aim of Indian policy should be to place the tribes on reservations and make them stay there, and he directed the campaigns through the 1870s that put this policy into practice..
Sherman County Cities and Towns include Goodland and Kanorado.
A Map of Sherman County, Kansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Sherman County, Kansas Courthouse Records
Sherman County, KS Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Sherman county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Sherman County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1888-1911, Marriage Records from 1886 and Death Records from 1888-1911 (Records at office of Goodland city clerk.). The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Sherman County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1888. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Sherman County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1886 and Court Records from 1887. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Sherman County Treasurers Office by Kansas State law is responsible for the tax billing, collection and distribution of tax money for the State, County, Cities and all other taxing entities that levy Ad Valorem and/or special assessment taxes. For the most part, tax records remain at the local level. Assessment and tax rolls are kept, permanently, by the County Treasurer's office.
Sherman County, Kansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: Census Collection, 1855-1925, 1919-1961
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Sherman County, Kansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1911 to present
- Marriage Records: from May 1, 1913 to present.
- Divorce Records: from July 1, 1951 to present.
- Locations: Kansas Office of Vital Statistics, Curtis State Office Building, 1000 S W Jackson, Suite 120, Topeka, KS 66612-2221; (785) 296-3253
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Sherman County, Kansas Resources
- State of Kansas Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kansas
- Sherman County Historical Society
- Search for Sherman Co. records at the Kansas State Archives
- Sherman County, Kansas Message Boards
Sherman County, Kansas External Links
- Kansas Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Sherman County, Kansas Books - Amazon
- Sherman Co., Kansas - FindaGrave
- Kansas Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Sherman County, Kansas Links - Cyndi's List
- Sherman County - Kansas Historical Society Biography
- Historical Newspapers from Kansas (1841–1981)
- Sherman Co. KSGenweb
- Sherman County, Kansas Ancestry Database Collections
- Sherman County, Kansas Military Records