Riley County, Kansas Records
Riley County, Kansas (Map It) was created on August 25, 1855 as one of the original 36 counties. The county was named in honor of Maj. Gen. Bennett C. Riley (1787-1853), who commanded the first military escort along the Santa Fe Trail in 1829...
Riley County Cities and Towns include Manhattan, Ogden, Riley, Leonardville, Randolph.
A Map of Riley County, Kansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Riley County, Kansas Courthouse Records
Riley County, KS Courthouse
The Riley County Courthouse is located in Manhattan, Kansas. Records incomplete. Extant for 1885—86 and 1892—1909 only. Records for 1892—1909 at KSHS. Learn More About State of Kansas Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Riley county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Riley County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1885-86; 1892-1909, Marriage Records from 1856 and Death Records from 1885-86; 1892-1909. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Riley County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1855. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Riley County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1855 and Court Records from 1859. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Riley County Treasurers Office by Kansas State law is responsible for the tax billing, collection and distribution of tax money for the State, County, Cities and all other taxing entities that levy Ad Valorem and/or special assessment taxes. For the most part, tax records remain at the local level. Assessment and tax rolls are kept, permanently, by the County Treasurer's office.
Riley County, Kansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1855, Census Collection, 1855-1925, 1919-1961
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Riley County, Kansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1911 to present
- Marriage Records: from May 1, 1913 to present.
- Divorce Records: from July 1, 1951 to present.
- Locations: Kansas Office of Vital Statistics, Curtis State Office Building, 1000 S W Jackson, Suite 120, Topeka, KS 66612-2221; (785) 296-3253
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Riley County, Kansas Resources
- State of Kansas Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kansas
- Riley County Genealogical Society
- Riley County Historical Society
- Search for Riley Co. records at the Kansas State Archives
- Riley County, Kansas Message Boards
Riley County, Kansas External Links
- Kansas Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Riley County, Kansas Books - Amazon
- Riley Co., Kansas - FindaGrave
- Kansas Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Riley County, Kansas Links - Cyndi's List
- Riley County - Kansas Historical Society Biography
- Historical Newspapers from Kansas (1841–1981)
- Riley Co. KSGenweb
- Riley County, Kansas Ancestry Database Collections
- Riley County, Kansas Military Records