Ellsworth County, Kansas Records
Ellsworth County, Kansas (Map It) was created on February 26, 1867 from Unorganized Territory. The county was named for Fort Ellsworth, a military post in the county near Kanopolis, itself named in honor of 2nd Lt. Allen Ellsworth of the Seventh Iowa Cavalry, who supervised construction of the fort in 1864..
Ellsworth County Cities and Towns include Ellsworth, Holyrood, Kanopolis, Lorraine, Wilson.
A Map of Ellsworth County, Kansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Ellsworth County, Kansas Courthouse Records
Ellsworth County, KS Courthouse
The Ellsworth County Courthouse is located in Ellsworth, Kansas. Incomplete. Birth records extant for 1884—95 and 1907—11 only. Death records extant for 1886—93 and 1907—11 only. Learn More About State of Kansas Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Ellsworth county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Ellsworth County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1884-95; 1907-11, Marriage Records from 1867 and Death Records from 1886-93; 1907-11. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Ellsworth County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1867. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Ellsworth County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1867 and Court Records from 1867. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Ellsworth County Treasurers Office by Kansas State law is responsible for the tax billing, collection and distribution of tax money for the State, County, Cities and all other taxing entities that levy Ad Valorem and/or special assessment taxes. For the most part, tax records remain at the local level. Assessment and tax rolls are kept, permanently, by the County Treasurer's office.
Ellsworth County, Kansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1855, Census Collection, 1855-1925, 1919-1961
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Ellsworth County, Kansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1911 to present
- Marriage Records: from May 1, 1913 to present.
- Divorce Records: from July 1, 1951 to present.
- Locations: Kansas Office of Vital Statistics, Curtis State Office Building, 1000 S W Jackson, Suite 120, Topeka, KS 66612-2221; (785) 296-3253
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Ellsworth County, Kansas Resources
- State of Kansas Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kansas
- Search for Ellsworth Co. records at the Kansas State Archives
- Ellsworth County, Kansas Message Boards
Ellsworth County, Kansas External Links
- Kansas Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Ellsworth County, Kansas Books - Amazon
- Ellsworth Co., Kansas - FindaGrave
- Kansas Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Ellsworth County, Kansas Links - Cyndi's List
- Ellsworth County - Kansas Historical Society Biography
- Historical Newspapers from Kansas (1841–1981)
- Ellsworth Co. KSGenweb
- Ellsworth County, Kansas Ancestry Database Collections
- Ellsworth County, Kansas Military Records