Mitchell County, Kansas Records
Mitchell County, Kansas (Map It) was created on February 26, 1867 (Organized on 1870) from Unorganized Territory. The county was named in honor of William D. Mitchell, who entered the Union army as a private in Company K, Second Kansas Cavalry. Promoted to captain in a Kentucky regiment, he was killed in action at Monroe's Cross Roads, North Carolina, in 1865...
Mitchell County Cities and Towns include Beloit, Cawker City, Glen Elder, Tipton, Simpson, Hunter and Scottsville.
A Map of Mitchell County, Kansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Mitchell County, Kansas Courthouse Records
Mitchell County, KS Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Mitchell county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Mitchell County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1891-1911, Marriage Records from 1871 and Death Records from 1891-1911. The Birth & Death Records held by city clerk. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Mitchell County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1870. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Mitchell County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1870 and Court Records from 1871. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Mitchell County Treasurers Office by Kansas State law is responsible for the tax billing, collection and distribution of tax money for the State, County, Cities and all other taxing entities that levy Ad Valorem and/or special assessment taxes. For the most part, tax records remain at the local level. Assessment and tax rolls are kept, permanently, by the County Treasurer's office.
Mitchell County, Kansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1855, Census Collection, 1855-1925, 1919-1961
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Mitchell County, Kansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1911 to present
- Marriage Records: from May 1, 1913 to present.
- Divorce Records: from July 1, 1951 to present.
- Locations: Kansas Office of Vital Statistics, Curtis State Office Building, 1000 S W Jackson, Suite 120, Topeka, KS 66612-2221; (785) 296-3253
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Mitchell County, Kansas Resources
- State of Kansas Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kansas
- Mitchell County Historical Society
- Cawker City Public Library and Genealogical Society
- Search for Mitchell Co. records at the Kansas State Archives
- Mitchell County, Kansas Message Boards
Mitchell County, Kansas External Links
- Kansas Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Mitchell County, Kansas Books - Amazon
- Mitchell Co., Kansas - FindaGrave
- Kansas Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Mitchell County, Kansas Links - Cyndi's List
- Mitchell County - Kansas Historical Society Biography
- Historical Newspapers from Kansas (1841–1981)
- Mitchell Co. KSGenweb
- Mitchell County, Kansas Ancestry Database Collections
- Mitchell County, Kansas Military Records