Jewell County, Kansas Records
Jewell County, Kansas (Map It) was created on February 26, 1867 (organized in 1870) from Unorganized Territory. The county was named in honor of Lt. Col. Lewis R. Jewell of the Sixth Kansas Cavalry, who died 30 Nov 1862 of wounds received in action at Cane Hill, Arkansas, on 28 Nov 1862..
Jewell County is bordered by Nuckolls County, Nebraska (northeast), Republic County (east), Cloud County (southeast), Mitchell County (south), Osborne County (southwest), Smith County (west), Webster County, Nebraska (northwest).
Jewell County Cities and Towns include Mankato, Jewell, Burr Oak, Esbon, Formoso, Randall, Webber.
A Map of Jewell County, Kansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Jewell County, Kansas Courthouse Records
Jewell County, KS Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Jewell county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Jewell County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1886-94, Marriage Records from 1871 and Death Records from 1886-94. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Jewell County Register of Deeds Officehas Land Records from 1870. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Jewell County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1870 and Court Records from 1872. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Jewell County Treasurers Office by Kansas State law is responsible for the tax billing, collection and distribution of tax money for the State, County, Cities and all other taxing entities that levy Ad Valorem and/or special assessment taxes. For the most part, tax records remain at the local level. Assessment and tax rolls are kept, permanently, by the County Treasurer's office.
Jewell County, Kansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1855, Census Collection, 1855-1925, 1919-1961
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Jewell County, Kansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1911 to present
- Marriage Records: from May 1, 1913 to present.
- Divorce Records: from July 1, 1951 to present.
- Locations: Kansas Office of Vital Statistics, Curtis State Office Building, 1000 S W Jackson, Suite 120, Topeka, KS 66612-2221; (785) 296-3253
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Jewell County, Kansas Resources
- State of Kansas Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kansas
- Jewell County Historical Society
- Search for Jewell Co. records at the Kansas State Archives
- Jewell County, Kansas Message Boards
Jewell County, Kansas External Links
- Kansas Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Jewell County, Kansas Books - Amazon
- Jewell Co., Kansas - FindaGrave
- Kansas Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Jewell County, Kansas Links - Cyndi's List
- Jewell County - Kansas Historical Society Biography
- Historical Newspapers from Kansas (1841–1981)
- Jewell Co. KSGenweb
- Jewell County, Kansas Ancestry Database Collections
- Jewell County, Kansas Military Records