Louisa County, Iowa Records
Louisa County, Iowa (Map It) was created on December 7, 1836 from Des Moines County. Louisa County was named in honor of either Louisa Massey of Dubuque, Iowa, who, according to legend, killed the murderer of her brother; or Louisa County, Virginia
Louisa County is bordered by Johnson County (northwest), Muscatine County (north), Rock Island County, Illinois (northeast), Mercer County, Illinois (east), Des Moines County (south), Henry County (southwest), Washington County (west).
Louisa County Cities and Towns include Columbus City, Columbus Junction, Cotter, Fredonia, Grandview, Letts, Morning Sun, Oakville, Wapello.
A Louisa County, Iowa County and City Maps contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Iowa maps.
Louisa County, Iowa Courthouse Records
Louisa County, IA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Louisa county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Louisa County Recorder's Office has Birth / Death Records from 1880, has Marriage Records from 1842 and has Land Records from 1839. he County Recorder's Office maintains official records of documents affecting title to real estate. Every real estate transaction that takes place begins in the Recorder's Office. One of the major duties of the office is the management of public records. As a result, accuracy and preservation of records are a must in the Recorder's Office. In addition to real estate transactions, the Recorder's Office issues titles and liens; records veterans discharge papers; processes passport applications; accepts marriage applications and issues the subsequent license; issues certified copies of birth, death and marriage records as well as other numerous duties.
- Louisa County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1838and has Court Records from 1839. The County Clerk of Court manages and maintains all trial court records, including pleadings, evidence and orders. The clerks of court have hundreds of administrative duties. They accept and process fines, fees and court costs owed to the state, child support checks, and civil judgments owed to litigants. They maintain a record of liens on all real estate in the county. Clerks help with involuntary hospitalization cases. They have the authority to dispose of scheduled violations which are not contested and do not require a court hearing. Clerks are also responsible for informing state and local government agencies of court orders.
- Louisa County Tax Assessor is responsible for assess and appraise all real estate and personal property, to have access to all public records of the county for the purpose of securing information pertaining to accurate listings of taxable property.
Louisa County, Iowa Census Records
- Learn More: State of Iowa Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: State Census Collection, 1836-1925, Census Collection, 1838-1870,
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Louisa County, Iowa Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Iowa Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from July 1880 to present.
- Divorce Records: since 1906.
- Locations: Iowa Department of Public Health, Bureau of Vital Records/Statistics, Lucas State Office Bldg., First Floor, Des Moines, IA 50319
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Louisa County, Iowa Resources
- State of Iowa Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Iowa
- Louisa County Historical Society
- Louisa County, Iowa Message Boards
Louisa County, Iowa External Links
- Iowa Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Louisa County, Iowa Books - Amazon
- Iowa Genealogical Society Publications for Louisa County
- Louisa Co., Iowa - FindaGrave
- Iowa Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Louisa County, Iowa Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Iowa (1837 - 1900)
- Louisa Co. IAGenweb
- Louisa County, Iowa Ancestry Database Collections
- Louisa County, Iowa Military Records