Sharp County, Arkansas Records
Other county boundry changes occured when Part of Independence annexed 21 April 1873, line with Independence defined 11 February 1875, line with Izard changed 9 March 1877, part annexed to Lawrence 21 March 1917, part of Lawrence annexed to Sharp 24 March 1917. Sharp County was named in honor of Ephraim Sharp, an early settler of Arkansas .
Sharp County is bordered by Oregon County, Missouri (north), Randolph County (northeast), Lawrence County (southeast), Independence County (south), Izard County (southwest), Fulton County (northwest).
Sharp County Cities and Towns include Ash Flat, Cave City, Cherokee Village, Evening Shade, Hardy, Highland, Horseshoe Bend, Ozark Acres, Poughkeepsie, Sidney, Williford.
A Map of Sharp County, Arkansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Sharp County, Arkansas Courthouse Records
Sharp County, AR Courthouse
The Sharp County Courthouse is located in Ash Flat, Arkansas. It was reported a fire of Jan. 20, 1880, destroyed all the county records, but they are complete from that time, housed in fire-proof vaults at Evening Shade and Hardy. The newspaper editor of the Sharp County Record published marriages prior to the fire. See the books by this publisher. Learn More About State of Arkansas Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Sharp county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Sharp County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1880, Land Records from 1880 and Divorce Records are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Arkansas Department of Public Health. The County Clerk of Circuit Court is the clerk of the circuit, chancery court, and juvenile court and usually acts as the ex-officio recorder of the county. The duties of the clerk are to maintain a record of all proceedings of the circuit, chancery and juvenile courts and to prepare the dockets for courts. They are also the ex-officio county recorder; and is responsible for recording deeds, mortgages, liens, and surety bonds, and many other orders and instruments which involve property within the county.
- Sharp County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1880 and has Probate Records from 1880. The County Clerk, as clerk to the probate court, the clerk files all instruments making them a matter of record in descendent estate cases, and swears in all witnesses in contested estates. The clerk, also in this capacity, maintains all records relative to adoptions and guardianship cases.
- Sharp County Assessor's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Sharp County Health Department
Sharp County, Arkansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Arkansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1819-1870
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Sharp County, Arkansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Arkansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from February 1, 1914 to present.
- Marriage Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1923 to present. Full certified copy may be obtained from the County Circuit or Chancery Clerk.
- Locations: Arkansas Office of Vital Records, 4815 W. Markham Street, Slot 44, Little Rock, AR 72205; (602) 364-1300, 501-661-2336, 800-637-9314
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Sharp County, Arkansas Resources
- Sharp County Historical Society, Box 185, Ash Flat, AR 72513
- Sharp County, Arkansas Message Boards
Sharp County, Arkansas External Links
- Arkansas Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Sharp County, Arkansas Books - Amazon
- Sharp Co., Arkansas - FindaGrave
- Arkansas Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Sharp Co. ARGenweb
- Sharp County, Arkansas Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Arkansas (1819 - 1999)
- Sharp County, Arkansas Ancestry Database Collections
- Sharp County, Arkansas Military Records