Miller County, Arkansas Records
Other county boundry changes occured when Part of Little River annexed 30 March 1915. Miller County was named in honor of Former Miller County, Arkansas Territory (1820-38), which was named for James Miller (1776–1851), first Governor of the Arkansas Territory. Miller County was on the Arkansas/Texas border, it was claimed by both state governments from the 1820s until the 1870s.
Miller County is bordered by Little River County (north), Hempstead County (northeast), Lafayette County (east), Bossier Parish, Louisiana (southeast), Caddo Parish, Louisiana (south), Cass County, Texas (southwest), Bowie County, Texas (west).
Miller County Cities and Towns include Fouke, Garland, Texarkana.
A Map of Miller County, Arkansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries..
Miller County, Arkansas Courthouse Records
Miller County, AR Courthouse
The Miller County Courthouse is located in Texarkana, Arkansas. Reported the records complete, in good condition, and kept in fire-proof vaults. Learn More About State of Arkansas Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Miller county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Miller County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1874, Land Records from 1874 and Divorce Records are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Arkansas Department of Public Health. The County Clerk of Circuit Court is the clerk of the circuit, chancery court, and juvenile court and usually acts as the ex-officio recorder of the county. The duties of the clerk are to maintain a record of all proceedings of the circuit, chancery and juvenile courts and to prepare the dockets for courts. They are also the ex-officio county recorder; and is responsible for recording deeds, mortgages, liens, and surety bonds, and many other orders and instruments which involve property within the county.
- Miller County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1875 and has Probate Records from 1874. The County Clerk, as clerk to the probate court, the clerk files all instruments making them a matter of record in descendent estate cases, and swears in all witnesses in contested estates. The clerk, also in this capacity, maintains all records relative to adoptions and guardianship cases.
- Miller County Assessor's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Miller County Health Department
Miller County, Arkansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Arkansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1819-1870
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Miller County, Arkansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Arkansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from February 1, 1914 to present.
- Marriage Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1923 to present. Full certified copy may be obtained from the County Circuit or Chancery Clerk.
- Locations: Arkansas Office of Vital Records, 4815 W. Markham Street, Slot 44, Little Rock, AR 72205; (602) 364-1300, 501-661-2336, 800-637-9314
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Miller County, Arkansas Resources
Miller County, Arkansas External Links
- Arkansas Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Miller County, Arkansas Books - Amazon
- Miller Co., Arkansas - FindaGrave
- Arkansas Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Miller Co. ARGenweb
- Miller County, Arkansas Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Arkansas (1819 - 1999)
- Miller County, Arkansas Ancestry Database Collections
- Miller County, Arkansas Military Records