Etowah County, Alabama Records
Etowah County, Alabama (Map It) was created on December 7, 1866 and was formed from Blount County, Calhoun County, Cherokee County, Dekalb County, Marshall County, and St. Clair County. Originally named Baine County, it abolished on December 1, 1868 by the Constitutional Convention and re-established on the same day, under the name of Etowah. Etowah county was named for Baine County in honor of Gen. David W. Baine, a Confederate soldier from Lowndes County. Etowah County, which is from the Cherokee language.
Etowah County Cities and Towns include Altoona, Attalla, Boaz, Gadsden, Gallant (unincorporated), Glencoe, Hokes Bluff, Mountainboro, Ohatchee, Rainbow City, Reece City, Ridgeville, Sardis City, Southside, Walnut Grove.
A Map of Etowah County, Alabama contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries. There is a collection of old Alabama maps at MapGeeks.org
Etowah County, Alabama Courthouse Records
Etowah County, AL Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Etowah county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Etowah County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1867 and has Divorce Records prior to 1950.
- Etowah County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1867, Probate Records from 1867 and Land Records from 1867.
- Etowah Revenue Commissioner's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Etowah County Health Department has Birth Records from 1894 , Daeth records from 1898.
Etowah County, Alabama Census Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: 1820-1866, 1867
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Etowah County, Alabama Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1908 to present.
- Marriage Records: from August 1936 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1950 to present.
- Locations: Alabama Office of Vital Statistics, The RSA Tower, 201 Monroe Street, Montgomery, Alabama 36104.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificate Applications.
Etowah County, Alabama Resources
- State of Alabama Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Alabama
- Etowah County Historical Society, PO Box 8131, Gadsden, Al 35901
- Northeast Alabama Genealogical Society, Inc
- Etowah County, Alabama Message Boards
Etowah County, Alabama External Links
- Alabama Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Etowah County, Alabama Books - Amazon
- Etowah Co., Alabama - FindaGrave
- Alabama Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Etowah Co. ALGenweb
- Alabama Newspaper Archives (1813 - 2003)
- Etowah County, Alabama Links - Cyndi's List
- Etowah County, Alabama Ancestry Database Collections
- Etowah County, Alabama Military Records