Arlington County, Virginia Records
Arlington County, Virginia (Map It) was created in 1789 as Alexandria County and was formed from a part of Fairfax County. Alexandria County was ceded to the U.S. government in 1789 but was returned to Virginia in 1846. It was renamed to Arlington Co in 1920. Arlington county was named for Henry Bennet, 1st Earl of Arlington, colonial proprietary landowner..
Arlington County Cities and Towns include Ballston, Clarendon, Courthouse, Crystal City, Lyon Village, Pentagon City, Rosslyn, Shirlington, Virginia Square, Westover, Williamsburg Circle, Palisades .
Arlington County, Virginia Courthouse Records
Arlington County, VA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH . Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The Arlington County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, military discharges and court records.
Pre-1920 records belong to Alexandria and Fairfax Counties and the District of Columbia.
- Arlington County Clerk of Circuit Court has Marriage Records from 1801, Land Records from 1669, Court Records from 1778 and Probate Records from 1772.
- Arlington County Real Estate Assessments
- Arlington County Treasurer
- Arlington County Department of Human Services
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes
Arlington County, Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: Virginia Heads of families 1790: records of the state enumerations, 1782 to 1785
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Arlington County, Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1853 to December 1896 and since June 14, 1912 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896
- Marriage Records: from January 1853 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of marriage records prior to 1936.
- Divorce Records: from January 1918 to present.
- Locations: Virginia Office of Vital Statistics, Virginia State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: 2001 Maywill Street, Richmond, Virginia 23230
Arlington County, Virginia Resources
- State of Virginia Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Virginia
- Arlington Historical Society
- National Genealogical Society
- Arlington Department of Libraries
- Central Library , 1015 N. Quincy St. , Arlington, VA 22201 , Phone 703-228-5990
- Aurora Hills Library , 735 S. 18th St. , Arlington, VA 22202 , Phone 703-228-5715
- Cherrydale Library , 2190 N. Military Rd. , Arlington VA 22207 , Phone 703-228-6330
- Columbia Pike Library , 816 S. Walter Reed Dr. , Arlington, VA 22204 , Phone 703-228-5710
- Government Reference Library , #1 Courthouse Plaza , Suite 406 , 2100 Clarendon Blvd. , Arlington, VA 22201 , Phone 703-228-3352
- Outreach Centers , Phone 703-228-5585
- Shirlington Library , 2786 S. Arlington Mill Dr. , Arlington, VA 22206 , Phone 703-228-6545
- Westover Library , 1800 N. Lexington St. , Arlington, VA 22205 , Phone 703-228-5260
- Arlington County, Virginia Message Boards
- Arlington County, Virginia Genealogy Forum
- Arlington County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Arlington Co. Virginia
Arlington County, Virginia External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Virginia (1784 - 1922 )
- Arlington County, Virginia Books - Amazon
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- Virginia County Records, Volume , VI, VII , IX, X The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- Arlington Co., Virginia - FindaGrave
- Arlington County, Virginia Links - Cyndi's List
- Arlington Co. VAGenweb
- Arlington County, Virginia Ancestry Database Collections
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units
- Arlington County, Virginia Military Records