Galveston County, Texas Records
Galveston County, Texas (Map It) was created on May 15, 1838 from Brazoria County and Liberty County. This county was named for Bernardo de Gálvez, Spanish governor of the Louisiana Territory (1777–1785) .
Galveston County Cities and Towns include Bayou Vista, Clear Lake Shores, Dickinson, Friendswood, Galveston, Hitchcock, Jamaica Beach, Kemah, La Marque, League City, Santa Fe, Texas City, Tiki Island..
A Map of Galveston County, Texas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Galveston County, Texas Courthouse Records
Galveston County, TX Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicate what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Galveston county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
Galveston County Courthouse was destroyed by the Galveston Hurricane in September 1900, swept the island clean, therefore, it is likely the record was destroyed in the hurricane. Check in nearby counties for any such replications of any records from the Galveston area prior to 1900.
Since 1900, a seawall was built along the outward facing shore, and subsequent hurricanes, including Ike in 2008, did somewhat less damage as the seawall for the ost part has kept the storm surge produced by any hurricane from overwashing the island by and large. In fact, one can drive along the seawall itself which will give any visitor an idea of just how serious the 1900 disaster really was.
- Galveston County Clerk has Birth & Death Records from 1903, Marriage Records from 1838, Land Records from 1838, Probate Records from 1838 and Court Records from 1839. The County Clerk's office is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Galveston County Tax Assessor-Collector Office is responsible for the the assessment of taxes on each property in the county and collection of that tax
Galveston County, Texas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Texas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- Texas Census Substitute Records: 1820-1890
- State Population Schedules: Republic of Texas Poll Lists for 1846
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Galveston County, Texas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Texas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from 1903 to present.
- Marriage Records: available from the County Clerk
- Divorce Records: available from the Clerk of District Court
- Locations: Texas Department of State Health Services
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Texas Department of State Health Services, 1100 W. 49th Street, Austin, TX 78756; (888) 963-7111 or (512) 458-7111
Galveston County, Texas Resources
- Galveston County Genealogical Society
- Rosenberg Library
- Texas City Ancestry Searchers
- Moore Memorail Library
- East End Historical Association
- Galveston Co. Records Available on Microfilm
- Galveston County, Texas Message Boards
Galveston County, Texas External Links
- Texas Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Texas (1813 - 1993)
- Galveston Daily News (Galveston, Texas)
- Galveston County, Texas Books - Amazon
- Galveston Co., Texas - FindaGrave
- Texas, Gonzalez de la Garza Genealogy Collection
- The Complete story of the Galveston horror
- Galveston Co., Texas Almanac
- Texas county histories : a bibliography
- Galveston County History
- Galveston County, Texas Links - Cyndi's List
- Galveston Co. TXGenweb
- Galveston County, Texas Ancestry Database Collections
- Galveston Passenger Lists, 1896-1948
- Atlantic Ports, Gulf Coasts, and Great Lakes Passenger Lists, Roll 3: Galveston Texas 1846-1871
- Texas General Land Office Map Collection
- Houston, Texas City Directory, 1917
- Galveston, Texas City Directories, 1888-91
- Galveston County, Texas Military Records