Lyon County, Minnesota Records
Lyon County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on November 2, 1869 (Organized in 1870, Deorganized in 1873 the Reorganized in 1875) from Redwood County. The county was named in honor of General Nathaniel Lyon (1818–1861) who worked against secession in Missouri; served in frontier duty with Army in Minnesota and Dakota territory, 1853-61; killed in Civil War at battle of Wilson's Creek, Missouri, 1861.
Lyon County Cities and Towns include Amiret, Balaton, Cottonwood, Florence, Garvin, Ghent, Lynd, Marshall, Minneota, Russell, Taunton, Tracy.
Lyon County Townships include Amiret, Clifton, Coon Creek, Custer, Eidsvold, Fairview, Grandview, Island Lake, Lake Marshall, Lucas, Lynd, Lyons, Monroe, Nordland, Rock Lake, Shelburne, Sodus, Stanley, Vallers, Westerheim Townships.
A Map of Lyon County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Lyon County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
Lyon County, MN Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Lyon county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Lyon County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1874, Marriage Records from 1871 and Land Records from 1870. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Lyon County Court Administrator has Probate Records from 1890 and Court Records from 1875. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Lyon County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
Lyon County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850 (territory), 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: 1835-1890
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Lyon County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.
Lyon County, Minnesota Resources
- State of Minnesota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Minnesota
- Lyon County Historical Society
- Wheels Across the Prairie Museum
- Prairieland Genealogical Society
- Southwest Minnesota Historical Center
- Lyon County, Minnesota Message Boards
- Lyon County, Minnesota Genealogy Boards
Lyon County, Minnesota External Links
- Minnesota Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Lyon County, Minnesota Books - Amazon
- Lyon Co., Minnesota - FindaGrave
- Minnesota Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Lyon County, Minnesota Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Minnesota (1849 - 1922)
- Lyon Co. MNGenweb
- Lyon County, Minnesota Ancestry Database Collections
- Lyon County, Minnesota Military Records