Carlton County, Minnesota Records
Carlton County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on May 23, 1857 (Organized in 1870) from Pine County and St. Louis County. The county was named in honor of Reuben B. Carlton (1812-1863), one of the first settlers at the Fond du Lac; member of first state senate, 1858.
Carlton County Cities and Towns include Barnum, Carlton, Cloquet, Cromwell, Kettle River, Moose Lake, Scanlon, Thomson, Wrenshall, Wright.
Carlton County Townships include Atkinson, Automba, Barnum, Beseman, Blackhoof, Eagle, Holyoke, Kalevala, Lakeview, Mahtowa, Moose Lake, Perch Lake, Silver, Silver Brook, Skelton, Split Rock, Thomson, Twin Lakes, Wrenshall Townships.
A Map of Carlton County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Carlton County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
Carlton County, MN Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Carlton county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Carlton County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1870, Marriage Records from 1871 and Land Records from 1870. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Carlton County Court Administrator has Probate Records from 1870 and Court Records from 1871. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Carlton County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
Carlton County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: 1835-1890
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Carlton County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.
Carlton County, Minnesota Resources
- State of Minnesota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Minnesota
- Carlton County Historical Society
- Carlton County Genealogical Society
- Moose Lake Area Historical Society
- Northeast Minnesota Historical Center
- Carlton County, Minnesota Message Boards
- Carlton County, Minnesota Genealogy Boards
Carlton County, Minnesota External Links
- Minnesota Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Carlton County, Minnesota Books - Amazon
- Carlton Co., Minnesota - FindaGrave
- Minnesota Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Carlton County, Minnesota Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Minnesota (1849 - 1922)
- Carlton Co. MNGenweb
- Carlton County, Minnesota Ancestry Database Collections
- Carlton County, Minnesota Military Records