Allen County, Kansas Records
Allen County, Kansas (Map It) was created on August 25, 1855 as one of the original 36 counties. In July of 1855, the Territorial Legislature fixed the boundaries as follows: commencing at the southeast corner of Anderson County, then south thirty miles, west twenty-four miles, north thirty miles, and east to the place of beginning. The county was named in honor of William Allen, U.S. Senator from Ohio and prominent supporter of westward expansion. .
Allen County is bordered by Anderson County (north), Linn County (northeast), Bourbon County (east), Neosho County (south), Wilson County (southwest), Woodson County (west), Coffey County (northwest).
Allen County Cities and Towns include Bassett, Carlyle, Elsmore, Gas, Humboldt, Iola, La Harpe, Mildred, Moran, Savonburg.
A Map of Allen County, Kansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Allen County, Kansas Courthouse Records
Allen County, KS Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Allen county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Allen County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 18?, Marriage Records from 1856 and Death Records from 18?. Iola city clerk has birth, death, and burial records. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Allen County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1861. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Allen County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1858 and Court Records from 1858. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Allen County Treasurers Office by Kansas State law is responsible for the tax billing, collection and distribution of tax money for the State, County, Cities and all other taxing entities that levy Ad Valorem and/or special assessment taxes. For the most part, tax records remain at the local level. Assessment and tax rolls are kept, permanently, by the County Treasurer's office.
Allen County, Kansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1855, Census Collection, 1855-1925, 1919-1961
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Allen County, Kansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1911 to present
- Marriage Records: from May 1, 1913 to present.
- Divorce Records: from July 1, 1951 to present.
- Locations: Kansas Office of Vital Statistics, Curtis State Office Building, 1000 S W Jackson, Suite 120, Topeka, KS 66612-2221; (785) 296-3253
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Allen County, Kansas Resources
- State of Kansas Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kansas
- Allen County Historical Society
- Southeast Kansas Genealogical Society
- Search for Allen Co. records at the Kansas State Archives
- Allen County, Kansas Message Boards
Allen County, Kansas External Links
- Kansas Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Allen County, Kansas Books - Amazon
- Allen Co., Kansas - FindaGrave
- Kansas Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Allen County, Kansas Links - Cyndi's List
- Allen County - Kansas Historical Society Biography
- Historical Newspapers from Kansas (1841–1981)
- Allen Co. KSGenweb
- Allen County, Kansas Ancestry Database Collections
- Allen County, Kansas Military Records