Humboldt County, Iowa Records
Humboldt County, Iowa (Map It) was created on January 15, 1851 but was then legislated out of existence in January 24, 1855. The land was given to Kossuth County and Webster County. The county was re-established on February 26, 1857 from Kossuth County & Webster County but only with 12 townships Humboldt County was named in honor of Friedrich Heinrich Alexander von Humboldt (1769–1859), the famous German scientist, explorer and statesman
Humboldt County is bordered by Kossuth County (north), Wright County (east), Webster County (south), Pocahontas County (west).
Humboldt County Cities and Towns include Bode, Bradgate, Dakota City, Gilmore City, Hardy, Humboldt, Livermore, Lu Verne, Ottosen, Pioneer, Renwick, Rutland, Thor.
A Humboldt County, Iowa County and City Maps contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Iowa maps.
Humboldt County, Iowa Courthouse Records
Humboldt County, IA Courthouse
The Humboldt County Courthouse is located in Dakota City, Iowa. Humboldt County was attached to Boone County for a breif time but was abolished January 24, 1855. Some early records may be found there. Learn More About State of Iowa Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Humboldt county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Humboldt County Recorder's Office has Birth / Death Records from 1880, has Marriage Records from 1858 and has Land Records from 1855. he County Recorder's Office maintains official records of documents affecting title to real estate. Every real estate transaction that takes place begins in the Recorder's Office. One of the major duties of the office is the management of public records. As a result, accuracy and preservation of records are a must in the Recorder's Office. In addition to real estate transactions, the Recorder's Office issues titles and liens; records veterans discharge papers; processes passport applications; accepts marriage applications and issues the subsequent license; issues certified copies of birth, death and marriage records as well as other numerous duties.
- Humboldt County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1859and has Court Records from ?. The County Clerk of Court manages and maintains all trial court records, including pleadings, evidence and orders. The clerks of court have hundreds of administrative duties. They accept and process fines, fees and court costs owed to the state, child support checks, and civil judgments owed to litigants. They maintain a record of liens on all real estate in the county. Clerks help with involuntary hospitalization cases. They have the authority to dispose of scheduled violations which are not contested and do not require a court hearing. Clerks are also responsible for informing state and local government agencies of court orders.
- Humboldt County Tax Assessor is responsible for assess and appraise all real estate and personal property, to have access to all public records of the county for the purpose of securing information pertaining to accurate listings of taxable property.
Humboldt County, Iowa Census Records
- Learn More: State of Iowa Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: State Census Collection, 1836-1925, Census Collection, 1838-1870
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Humboldt County, Iowa Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Iowa Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from July 1880 to present.
- Divorce Records: since 1906.
- Locations: Iowa Department of Public Health, Bureau of Vital Records/Statistics, Lucas State Office Bldg., First Floor, Des Moines, IA 50319
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Humboldt County, Iowa Resources
- State of Iowa Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Iowa
- Humboldt County Genealogical Society, 30 6th St. N., Humboldt IA 50548-1799
- Humboldt County Historical Association
- Humboldt County, Iowa Message Boards
Humboldt County, Iowa External Links
- Iowa Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Humboldt County, Iowa Books - Amazon
- Iowa Genealogical Society Publications for Humboldt County
- Humboldt Co., Iowa - FindaGrave
- Iowa Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Humboldt County, Iowa Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Iowa (1837 - 1900)
- Humboldt Co. IAGenweb
- Humboldt County, Iowa Ancestry Database Collections
- Humboldt County, Iowa Military Records