Guthrie County, Iowa Records
Guthrie County, Iowa (Map It) was created on January 15, 1851 (Organized in 1851) from Unorganized Territory. Guthrie County was named in honor of Edwin B. Guthrie, a commanding officer of a company of Iowa volunteers in the Mexican-American War
A Guthrie County, Iowa County and City Maps contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Iowa maps.
Guthrie County, Iowa Courthouse Records
Guthrie County, IA Courthouse
The Guthrie County Courthouse is located in Guthrie Center, Iowa. In 1857, in the cabin of the county clerk, a keg of gunpowder blew all the county records to pieces. This Courthouse burned to the ground on March 3, 1882 (A heroic clerk saved most of the court records). In November of 1963 courthouse was destroyed by fire (some records were destroyed). Learn More About State of Iowa Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Guthrie county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Guthrie County Recorder's Office has Birth / Death Records from 1880, has Marriage Records from 1852 and has Land Records from 1852. he County Recorder's Office maintains official records of documents affecting title to real estate. Every real estate transaction that takes place begins in the Recorder's Office. One of the major duties of the office is the management of public records. As a result, accuracy and preservation of records are a must in the Recorder's Office. In addition to real estate transactions, the Recorder's Office issues titles and liens; records veterans discharge papers; processes passport applications; accepts marriage applications and issues the subsequent license; issues certified copies of birth, death and marriage records as well as other numerous duties.
- Guthrie County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1859and has Court Records from 1855. The County Clerk of Court manages and maintains all trial court records, including pleadings, evidence and orders. The clerks of court have hundreds of administrative duties. They accept and process fines, fees and court costs owed to the state, child support checks, and civil judgments owed to litigants. They maintain a record of liens on all real estate in the county. Clerks help with involuntary hospitalization cases. They have the authority to dispose of scheduled violations which are not contested and do not require a court hearing. Clerks are also responsible for informing state and local government agencies of court orders.
- Guthrie County Tax Assessor is responsible for assess and appraise all real estate and personal property, to have access to all public records of the county for the purpose of securing information pertaining to accurate listings of taxable property.
Guthrie County, Iowa Census Records
- Learn More: State of Iowa Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: State Census Collection, 1836-1925, Census Collection, 1838-1870
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Guthrie County, Iowa Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Iowa Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from July 1880 to present.
- Divorce Records: since 1906.
- Locations: Iowa Department of Public Health, Bureau of Vital Records/Statistics, Lucas State Office Bldg., First Floor, Des Moines, IA 50319
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Guthrie County, Iowa Resources
- State of Iowa Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Iowa
- Guthrie County Genealogical Society
- Guthrie County Historical Society, 901 Grand, Guthrie, IA 50115; Phone: (515) 747-3403
- Guthrie County, Iowa Message Boards
Guthrie County, Iowa External Links
- Iowa Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Guthrie County, Iowa Books - Amazon
- Guthrie County IAGenWeb Cemeteries
- Guthrie Co., Iowa - FindaGrave
- Iowa Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Guthrie County, Iowa Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Iowa (1837 - 1900)
- Guthrie Co. IAGenweb
- Guthrie County, Iowa Ancestry Database Collections
- Guthrie County, Iowa Military Records