Ontario County, New York Records
Ontario County Cities and Towns include Canandaigua, Geneva, Bristol, Canadice, Canandaigua, East Bloomfield, Farmington, Geneva, Gorham, Hopewell, Manchester, Naples, Phelps, Richmond, Seneca, South Bristol, Victor, West Bloomfield. Villages include Bloomfield, Clifton Springs, Manchester, Naples, Phelps, Rushville, Shortsville, Victor.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old New York maps.
Ontario County, New York Courthouse Records
Ontario County, NY Courthouse
The Ontario County Courthouse is located in Canandaigua, New York. Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources. Learn More About State of New York Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Ontario county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Ontario County Clerk has Land Records from 1789; Deed records and mortgages to 1920–are at the Ontario County Department of Records, Archives, and Information Management Services, 3051 County Complex Drive, Canandaigua 14424; later deeds and all indexes are at the county clerk’s Office, Court Records from 1789 and Naturalization Records. State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region. The County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Ontario County Surrogate Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1789. These records–and mortgages to 1920–are at the Ontario County Department of Records, Archives, and Information Management Services, 3051 County Complex Drive, Canandaigua 14424; later deeds and all indexes are at the county clerk’s Office. The County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Ontario County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
Ontario County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. The county, town, city or village Historians may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
In New York State Law: "§ 57.07. Local historian; appointment; maintenance of historical edifices.
A local historian shall be appointed, as provided in this section, for each city, town or village, except that in a city of over one million inhabitants a local historian shall be appointed for each borough therein instead of for the city at large; and a county historian may be appointed for each county."
Counties therefore are not REQUIRED to have an appointed county historian, but are ALLOWED to appoint such an historian. Cities, Towns and Villages "SHALL" appoint a historian, although there doesn't appear to be any dire consequence if one should fail to do so: the Village of Philmont in Columbia County, for example, has neglected to refill the office since the death of their last historian.
Ontario County, New York Census Records
- Learn More: State of New York Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925
- Other State Census Schedules: Census of Inmates in Almshouses and Poorhouses, 1830-1920, Census Mortality Schedules, 1850-1880, Non-Population Schedules 1850-1880
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Ontario County, New York Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New York Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from 1880 to present
- Marriage Records: from 1880 to present
- Divorce Records: from January 1963 to present. Earlier Records are in the County Clerk's Office.
- Locations: New York State Dept of Health, Vital Records Section
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate, Genealogy Applications.
- In Person: New York State Dept of Health, Vital Records Section, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12237; (518) 474-3077, (518) 474-3038 Information
Ontario County, New York Resources
- State of New York Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for New York
- Ontario County Historical Historical Society and Museum
- Central New York Genealogical Society
- Western New York Genealogical Society
- Pioneer Library System
- Ontario Public Library
- Bloomfield Public Library
- Bristol Library, Requests may made to the town historian.
- Geneva Public Library, Local History and Genealogy Collection
- Ontario County Public Libraries
- New York Genealogy Research Community
- Ontario County, New York Message Boards
- Ontario County, New York Genealogy Boards
Ontario County, New York External Links
- New York Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from New York (1719 - 1992)
- Daily Messenger (Canandaigua, New York)
- Ontario County, New York Books - Amazon
- Abstracts of wills of Ontario County, New York, 1848-1849-1850 : Volume 12 (XII) (Liber D)
- East Bloomfield Cemetery
- Inscriptions from Farmington cemetery (Friends Cemetery)
- The old Shortsville Cemetery
- Ontario Co., New York - FindaGrave
- A history of Ontario County, New York, and its people
- History of Ontario County, New York
- Ontario County, New York Links - Cyndi's List
- Ontario Co. NYGenweb
- Gazetteer and business directory of Ontario County, N.Y. for 1867-8
- Ontario County, New York Ancestry Database Collections
- Ontario County, New York Military Records