Georgetown County, South Carolina Records
Georgetown County Cities and Towns include Andrews, Georgetown, Murrells Inlet, Pawleys Island.
A Map of Georgetown County, South Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Georgetown County, South Carolina Courthouse Records
Georgetown County, SC Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Georgetown county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
In 1862 during the Civil War, Georgetown's records were sent to Chesterfield courthouse for safekeeping. They were destroyed there by fire during General Sherman's Union army occupation of that city in March 1865. Deed books have suffered heavy record loss.
- Georgetown County Register of Deeds has Land Records from 1862. The County Register of Deeds records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Georgetown County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1911 and Probate Records from 1862. The County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Georgetown County Clerk of Court has Court Records from 1783 and Divorce Records from since April 1949. The County Clerk of Court is divided into General Sessions and Common Pleas Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record.
- Georgetown County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Georgetown County Health Department has birth and death records from 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office.
Georgetown County, South Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Georgetown County, South Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1915 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1950 to present. Contact the Office of Probate for earlier records.
- Divorce Records: from July 1962 to present. Contact the Clerk of Court for earlier records.
- Locations: South Carolina Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate or Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: List of Vital Records Services Office locations
Georgetown County, South Carolina Resources
- Georgetown County Historical Society
- Kaminski House Museum
- Rice Museum
- Georgetown County, South Carolina Message Boards
Georgetown County, South Carolina External Links
- South Carolina Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from South Carolina (1783 - 1975 )
- Georgetown County, South Carolina Books - Amazon
- South Carolina Archives Summary Guide to Georgetown County Records
- Georgetown Co., South Carolina - FindaGrave
- All Saints' Church, Waccamaw
- A History of Georgetown County
- Georgetown County History
- Georgetown County, South Carolina Links - Cyndi's List
- Georgetown Co. SCGenweb
- Georgetown County, South Carolina Ancestry Database Collections
- South Carolina Revolutionary War Units
- Georgetown County, South Carolina Military Records
- Directory of Scots in the Carolinas, 1680-1830