Beaufort County, South Carolina Records
Beaufort County, South Carolina (Map It) was created on 1769 from 1769 Beaufort District containing of Prince William Parish, St. Luke Parish, St. Helena Parish, and St. Peter Parish. The county was named in honor of Henry Somerset, 1st Duke of Beaufort, colonial proprietary landowner ..
Beaufort County Cities and Towns include Beaufort, Bluffton, Burton, Hilton Head Island, Laurel Bay, Parris Island, Port Royal, Shell Point, Yemassee.
A Map of Beaufort County, South Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Beaufort County, South Carolina Courthouse Records
Beaufort County, SC Courthouse
Old Beaufort County Courthouse
The Beaufort County Courthouse is located in Beaufort, South Carolina. In searching for genealogy records be sure to check the following counties as they were created from Beaufort County: Hampton County in 1878. Learn More About State of South Carolina Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Beaufort county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
Beaufort suffered a major loss in February 1865 after records had been removed to Columbia for safety and subsequent losses during Reconstruction. Deed books in particular have suffered heavy losses. Beaufort District absorbed the four counties in Beaufort Circuit Court District.
- Beaufort County Register of Deeds has Land Records from 1863. The County Register of Deeds records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Beaufort County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1911 and Probate Records from 1865. The County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Beaufort County Clerk of Court has Court Records from 1865 and Divorce Records from since April 1949. The County Clerk of Court is divided into General Sessions and Common Pleas Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record.
- Beaufort County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Beaufort County Health Department has birth and death records from 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office.
Beaufort County, South Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Beaufort County, South Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1915 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1950 to present. Contact the Office of Probate for earlier records.
- Divorce Records: from July 1962 to present. Contact the Clerk of Court for earlier records.
- Locations: South Carolina Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate or Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: List of Vital Records Services Office locations
Beaufort County, South Carolina Resources
- Beaufort County Genealogical Society
- Beaufort County Historical Society
- Bluffton Historical Preservation Society Inc.
- Daufuskie Island Historical Foundation
- Heritage Library Foundation, Inc
- Historic Beaufort Foundation
- Beaufort County, South Carolina Message Boards
Beaufort County, South Carolina External Links
- South Carolina Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from South Carolina (1783 - 1975 )
- Beaufort County, South Carolina Books - Amazon
- South Carolina Archives Summary Guide to Beaufort County Records
- Beaufort Co., South Carolina - FindaGrave
- Minutes of the vestry of St. Helena's Parish, South Carolina, 1726-1812
- A History of Beaufort County
- Beaufort County History
- Beaufort County, South Carolina Links - Cyndi's List
- Beaufort Co. SCGenweb
- Beaufort County, South Carolina Ancestry Database Collections
- South Carolina Revolutionary War Units
- Beaufort County, South Carolina Military Records
- Directory of Scots in the Carolinas, 1680-1830