Alger County, Michigan Records
Alger County, Michigan (Map It) was created on March 17, 1885 from Schoolcraft County. The county was named for Russell A. Alger (1836-1907):Governor of Michigan; Senator; and Secretary of War during the McKinley Administration.
Alger County Cities, Towns & Villages include Munising, Chatham.
Alger County Townships include Au Train, Burt, Grand Island, Limestone, Mathias, Munising, Onota, Rock River.
A Map of Alger County, Michigan contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Alger County, Michigan Courthouse Records
Alger County, MI Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Alger county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Alger County Clerk has Births & Deaths from 1884 and Marriage Records from 1887. The County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. See also Alger County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Alger County Register of Deeds has Land from 1884.The County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Alger County Clerk of the Probate Court has Probate from 1889. The County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Alger County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court from 1885. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
Alger County, Michigan Census Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: 1894
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Alger County, Michigan Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1867 to present. Some of the records, especially pre-1906 births, pre-1897 deaths and pre-1926, were not filed with the state
- Divorce Records: from 1897. See County Clerk for ealier records.
- Locations: Michigan Office of Vital Statistics, 201 Townsend Street Capitol View Building 3rd Floor Lansing MI 48913; (517) 335-8666
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Alger County, Michigan Resources
- State of Michigan Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Michigan
- Grand Marais Historical Society
- Alger County Historical Society
- Alger County Michigan Message Boards
- Alger County, Michigan Genealogy Boards
Alger County, Michigan External Links
- Michigan Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Alger County, Michigan Books - Amazon
- Alger Co., Michigan - FindaGrave
- Michigan Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- A Brief History of Alger County
- Alger County, Michigan Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Michigan (1837 - 1995)
- Alger Co. MIGenweb
- Alger County, Michigan Ancestry Database Collections
- Alger County, Michigan Military Records