Kittitas County, Washington Records
Kittitas County, Washington (Map It) was created on November 24, 1883 from Yakima County. The county was named for the Kittitas tribe word of uncertain meaning, with popular translations ranging from "white chalk" to "land of the plenty". Europeans first visited the county in 1812 when members of the Pacific Fur Company passed through the region. Prior to the Civil War, Captain George McClellan supervised military road construction through the county. .
Kittitas County Cities and Towns include Cle Elum, Easton, Ellensburg, Kittitas, Ronald, Roslyn, Snoqualmie Pass, South Cle Elum, Thorp, Vantage..
A Map of Kittitas County, Washington contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Kittitas County, Washington Courthouse Records
Kittitas County, WA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
The Kittitas County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, court records, and so forth.
- Kittitas County Auditor has Birth and Death Records from 1872 to 1907, Marriage Records from 1882 and Land Records from 1882 . The County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense.
- Kittitas County Clerk has Court Records from 1884 and Probate Records from 1884 . The County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments. For judicial purposes, many of the Washington counties were attached to other counties.
- Kittitas County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office.
- The Kittitas County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait.
Kittitas County, Washington Census Records
- Learn More: State of Washington Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State and Territorial Population Schedules: 1857-1892
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Kittitas County, Washington Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Washington Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1907 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from January 1, 1968 to present
- Locations: Washington Department of Health
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth / Death Certificate or the Marriage / Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Center for Health Statistics, Department of Health, 101 Israel Road SE, Tumwater, WA 98501
Kittitas County, Washington Resources
- State Archives Central Branch
- Kittitas County Genealogical Society
- Northern Kittitas County Genealogical Society
- Cle Elum Historical Society, 202 Reed St, Cle Elum, WA 98922. Phone:(509) 674-5882
- Roslyn Historical Museum Society
- Ellensburg Public Library
- Family History Center Ellensburg, 1700 Brick Rd, Ellensburg, WA. Phone 509-925-5192.
- Kittitas County Historical Museum
- Kittitas County, Washington Message Boards
- Kittitas County, Washington Genealogy Forum
- Washington State Digital Archives
Kittitas County, Washington External Links
- Washington Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Washington (1890 - 1984)
- Kittitas County, Washington Books - Amazon
- Kittitas Co., Washington - FindaGrave
- An Illustrated history of Klickitat, Yakima and Kittitas Counties : with an outline of the early history of the state of Washin
- Kittitas County, Washington Links - Cyndi's List
- Kittitas Co. WAGenweb
- Kittitas County, Washington Ancestry Database Collections
- Kittitas County, Washington Military Records
- Washington, Postmaster Indexes, Prior to 1965
- Washington gazetteer and business directory : 1901-1902.