Asotin County, Washington Records
Asotin County, Washington (Map It) was created on October 27, 1883 from Garfield County. The county was named in honor of the Nez Percé name for Eel Creek. In 1805-1806 Lewis and Clark passed through the county as well as Captain Bonneville in 1834. A ferry was founded on the Snake River in 1855 to accommodate thousands of miners rushing to the goldfields. In 1881 a ferry was established at Asotin. Today, the county's economy is primarily agricultural, based on food and livestock raising and processing, fruit growing, and wheat and barley production. Clarkston, the county's largest city, is separated from the town of Lewiston, Idaho by the Snake River. Clarkston area researchers should consider Lewiston resources as well. .
Asotin County is bordered by Whitman County (north), Nez Perce County, Idaho (east), Wallowa County, Oregon (south), Garfield County (west).
Asotin County Cities and Towns include Asotin (1,095), Clarkston (7,337).
A Map of Asotin County, Washington contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Asotin County, Washington Courthouse Records
Asotin County, WA Courthouse
The Asotin County Courthouse is located in Asotin, Washington. Learn More About State of Washington Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
The Asotin County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, court records, and so forth.
- Asotin County Auditor has Birth and Death Records from 1891 to 1907, Marriage Records from 1891 and Land Records from 1893 . The County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense.
- Asotin County Clerk has Court Records from 1885 and Probate Records from 1886. The County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments. For judicial purposes, many of the Washington counties were attached to other counties.
- Asotin County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office.
- The Asotin County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait.
Asotin County, Washington Census Records
- Learn More: State of Washington Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State and Territorial Population Schedules: 1857-1892
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Asotin County, Washington Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Washington Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1907 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from January 1, 1968 to present
- Locations: Washington Department of Health
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth / Death Certificate or the Marriage / Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Center for Health Statistics, Department of Health, 101 Israel Road SE, Tumwater, WA 98501
Asotin County, Washington Resources
- Washington State Archives, Eastern Washington Regional Archives
- Asotin County Historical Society
- Twin Rivers Genealogical Society
- Asotin Chamber of Commerce, PO Box 574, Asotin, WA 99402. Phone 509-243-4242. Fax 509- 243-4123.
- Lewis Clark Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Hells Canyon Visitor Association
- Asotin County, Washington Message Boards
- Asotin County, Washington Genealogy Forum
- Washington State Digital Archives
Asotin County, Washington External Links
- Washington Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Washington (1890 - 1984)
- Asotin County, Washington Books - Amazon
- Asotin Co., Washington - FindaGrave
- Asotin County, Washington Links - Cyndi's List
- Asotin Co. WAGenweb
- Asotin County, Washington Ancestry Database Collections
- Asotin County, Washington Military Records
- Washington, Postmaster Indexes, Prior to 1965
- Washington gazetteer and business directory : 1901-1902.