Jackson County, South Dakota Records
Jackson County, South Dakota (Map It) was created on March 8, 1883 from Stanley County. The county was named in honor of J.R. Jackson, territorial legislator.
Jackson County is bordered by Haakon County (north), Jones County (northeast), Mellette County (east), Bennett County (south), Shannon County (southwest), Pennington County (northwest).
Jackson County Cities and Towns include Belvidere, Cottonwood, Interior, Kadoka, Long Valley, Potato Creek, Stamford, Wanblee.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old South Dakota maps.
Jackson County, South Dakota Courthouse Records
The Jackson County Courthouse is located in Kadoka, South Dakota. Learn More About State of South Dakota Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Jackson county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
The state archives holds records (1918—1981). In 1909 Jackson was abolished and became part of Mellette and Washabaugh. Jackson was re-created from Stanley in 1914, becoming fully organized in 1915.
- Jackson County Register of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1915 and Land Records from 1901. The County Register of Deeds is the primary record-keeping and archival repository for county land records and for the recording & maintaining of records pertaining to that real estate, plats, deeds, mortgages & many miscellaneous documents. This office is the keeper of birth, death & marriage records, military discharge records, fictitious name filings, and various types of liens, including mechanic’s liens, state and federal tax liens.
- Jackson County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1915 and Court Records from 1915.
Jackson County, South Dakota Census Records
- Learn More: State of South Dakota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S., Schedules of Special Census of Indians: 1885-1940,
- State Population Schedules: 1885 Territorial Census, 1895, 1905, 1915, 1925, 1935, 1945
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Jackson County, South Dakota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of South Dakota Vital Records
- Birth, Death and Marriage Records: since July 1905, also from County Register of Deeds
- Divorce Records: since July 1905, also from County Clerk of Courts
- Locations: South Dakota Department of Health
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Vital Records, Dept of Health, 600 East Capitol, Pierre, SD 57501-2536; (605) 773-4961
Jackson County, South Dakota Resources
Jackson County, South Dakota External Links
- South Dakota Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from South Dakota (1861–2002)
- Jackson County, South Dakota Books - Amazon
- Jackson County, SD Census QuickFacts
- Jackson Co., South Dakota - FindaGrave
- Jackson County, South Dakota Links - Cyndi's List
- Jackson Co. SDGenweb
- Jackson County, South Dakota Ancestry Database Collections
- Jackson County, South Dakota Military Records