Grant County, South Dakota Records
Grant County, South Dakota (Map It) was created on January 08, 1873 from Codington County, Deuel County. The county was named in honor of Ulysses S. Grant (1822 - 1885), U.S. President and American Civil War general.
Grant County is bordered by Roberts County (north), Big Stone County, Minnesota (northeast), Lac qui Parle County, Minnesota (east), Deuel County (south), Codington County (southwest), Day County (west).
Grant County Cities and Towns include Albee, Big Stone City, La Bolt, Marvin, Milbank, Revillo, Stockholm, Strandburg, Troy, Twin Brooks
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old South Dakota maps.
Grant County, South Dakota Courthouse Records
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Grant county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
Courthouse fire in 1881 destroyed deed books 17-18 and mortgage books 10a, 18, 26, 28, and 29.
- Grant County Register of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1890 and Land Records from ?. The County Register of Deeds is the primary record-keeping and archival repository for county land records and for the recording & maintaining of records pertaining to that real estate, plats, deeds, mortgages & many miscellaneous documents. This office is the keeper of birth, death & marriage records, military discharge records, fictitious name filings, and various types of liens, including mechanic’s liens, state and federal tax liens.
- Grant County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1897 and Court Records from 1897.
Grant County, South Dakota Census Records
- Learn More: State of South Dakota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S., Schedules of Special Census of Indians: 1880, 1885-1940,
- State Population Schedules: 1885 Territorial Census, 1895, 1905, 1915, 1925, 1935, 1945
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Grant County, South Dakota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of South Dakota Vital Records
- Birth, Death and Marriage Records: since July 1905, also from County Register of Deeds
- Divorce Records: since July 1905, also from County Clerk of Courts
- Locations: South Dakota Department of Health
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Vital Records, Dept of Health, 600 East Capitol, Pierre, SD 57501-2536; (605) 773-4961
Grant County, South Dakota Resources
Grant County, South Dakota External Links
- South Dakota Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from South Dakota (1861–2002)
- Grant County, South Dakota Books - Amazon
- Grant Co., South Dakota - FindaGrave
- Grant County, South Dakota Links - Cyndi's List
- Grant Co. SDGenweb
- Grant County, South Dakota Ancestry Database Collections
- Grant County, South Dakota Military Records