Charles Mix County, South Dakota Records
Charles Mix County, South Dakota (Map It) was created on May 08, 1862 from Unorganized territory. The county was named in honor of Charles Eli Mix, commissioner of Indian Affairs.
Charles Mix County is bordered by Brule County (north), Aurora County (northeast), Douglas County (northeast), Hutchinson County (east), Bon Homme County (east), Knox County, Nebraska, Boyd County, Nebraska (southwest), Gregory County (west).
Charles Mix County Cities and Towns include Dante, Geddes, Lake Andes, Marty, Pickstown, Platte, Ravinia, Wagner.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old South Dakota maps.
Charles Mix County, South Dakota Courthouse Records
The Charles Mix County Courthouse is located in Lake Andes, South Dakota. Learn More About State of South Dakota Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Charles Mix county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
Charles Mix was fully organized in 1862, but was dissolved in 1864 and attached to Bon Homme. It was fully reorganized in 1879.
- Charles Mix County Register of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1883 and Land Records from 1875?. The County Register of Deeds is the primary record-keeping and archival repository for county land records and for the recording & maintaining of records pertaining to that real estate, plats, deeds, mortgages & many miscellaneous documents. This office is the keeper of birth, death & marriage records, military discharge records, fictitious name filings, and various types of liens, including mechanic’s liens, state and federal tax liens.
- Charles Mix County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1875? and Court Records from 1875?.
Charles Mix County, South Dakota Census Records
- Learn More: State of South Dakota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1870 (as Dakota Territory), 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S., Schedules of Special Census of Indians: 1880, 1885-1940,
- State Population Schedules: 1885 Territorial Census, 1895, 1905, 1915, 1925, 1935, 1945
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Charles Mix County, South Dakota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of South Dakota Vital Records
- Birth, Death and Marriage Records: since July 1905, also from County Register of Deeds
- Divorce Records: since July 1905, also from County Clerk of Courts
- Locations: South Dakota Department of Health
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Vital Records, Dept of Health, 600 East Capitol, Pierre, SD 57501-2536; (605) 773-4961
Charles Mix County, South Dakota Resources
- Platte Genealogical Society, PO Box 517, Platte, SD 57369-0517
- Charles Mix County, South Dakota Message Boards
- Charles Mix County, South Dakota Genealogy Boards
Charles Mix County, South Dakota External Links
- South Dakota Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from South Dakota (1861–2002)
- Charles Mix County, South Dakota Books - Amazon
- Charles Mix Co., South Dakota - FindaGrave
- History of Charles Mix County, South Dakota
- Charles Mix County, South Dakota Links - Cyndi's List
- Charles Mix Co. SDGenweb
- Charles Mix County, South Dakota Ancestry Database Collections
- Charles Mix County, South Dakota Military Records