Brown County, South Dakota Records
Brown County is bordered by Dickey County, North Dakota (north), Sargent County, North Dakota (northeast), Marshall County (east), Day County, Spink County (south), Faulk County (southwest), Edmunds County (southwest), McPherson County (northwest).
Brown County Cities and Towns include Aberdeen, Bath, Barnard, Claremont, Columbia, Ferney, Frederick, Groton, Hecla, Houghton, Huffton, James, Mansfield *, Ordway, Putney, Randolph, Richmond, Stratford, Verdon, Warner, Winship, Westport.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old South Dakota maps.
Brown County, South Dakota Courthouse Records
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Brown county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
The state archives holds records (1870—1950).
- Brown County Register of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1892 and Land Records from 1879?. The County Register of Deeds is the primary record-keeping and archival repository for county land records and for the recording & maintaining of records pertaining to that real estate, plats, deeds, mortgages & many miscellaneous documents. This office is the keeper of birth, death & marriage records, military discharge records, fictitious name filings, and various types of liens, including mechanic’s liens, state and federal tax liens.
- Brown County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1879? and Court Records from 1879?.
Brown County, South Dakota Census Records
- Learn More: State of South Dakota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S., Schedules of Special Census of Indians: 1880, 1885-1940,
- State Population Schedules: 1885 Territorial Census, 1895, 1905, 1915, 1925, 1935, 1945
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Brown County, South Dakota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of South Dakota Vital Records
- Birth, Death and Marriage Records: since July 1905, also from County Register of Deeds
- Divorce Records: since July 1905, also from County Clerk of Courts
- Locations: South Dakota Department of Health
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Vital Records, Dept of Health, 600 East Capitol, Pierre, SD 57501-2536; (605) 773-4961
Brown County, South Dakota Resources
- Aberdeen Area Genealogical Society
- North Central South Dakota Genealogical Society, c/o Florence Krueger, 2521 4th Ave. S.E., Aberdeen, SD 57401
- Brown County, South Dakota Message Boards
- Brown County, South Dakota Genealogy Boards
Brown County, South Dakota External Links
- South Dakota Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from South Dakota (1861–2002)
- Brown County, South Dakota Books - Amazon
- Brown Co., South Dakota - FindaGrave
- Brown County, South Dakota Links - Cyndi's List
- Brown Co. SDGenweb
- Brown County, South Dakota Ancestry Database Collections
- Brown County, South Dakota Military Records