Brookings County, South Dakota Records
Brookings County, South Dakota (Map It) was created on April 05, 1862 from Unorganized territory. The county was named in honor of Wilmot Brookings (1830 - 1905), Dakota Territory Supreme Court justice.
Brookings County is bordered by Deuel County (north), Lincoln County, Minnesota (east), Moody County (south), Lake County (southwest), Kingsbury County (west), Hamlin County (northwest).
Brookings County Cities and Towns include Ahnberg, Arlington, Aurora, Brookings, Bruce, Bushnell, Elkton, Medary, Sinai, Volga, White.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old South Dakota maps.
Brookings County, South Dakota Courthouse Records
The Brookings County Courthouse is located in Brookings, South Dakota. Learn More About State of South Dakota Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Brookings county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
The state archives holds records (1872—1955).
- Brookings County Register of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1871 and Land Records from 1871. The County Register of Deeds is the primary record-keeping and archival repository for county land records and for the recording & maintaining of records pertaining to that real estate, plats, deeds, mortgages & many miscellaneous documents. This office is the keeper of birth, death & marriage records, military discharge records, fictitious name filings, and various types of liens, including mechanic’s liens, state and federal tax liens.
- Brookings County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1871 and Court Records from 1871.
Brookings County, South Dakota Census Records
- Learn More: State of South Dakota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1870 (as Dakota Territory), 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S., Schedules of Special Census of Indians: 1880, 1885-1940,
- State Population Schedules: 1885 Territorial Census, 1895, 1905, 1915, 1925, 1935, 1945
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Brookings County, South Dakota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of South Dakota Vital Records
- Birth, Death and Marriage Records: since July 1905, also from County Register of Deeds
- Divorce Records: since July 1905, also from County Clerk of Courts
- Locations: South Dakota Department of Health
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Vital Records, Dept of Health, 600 East Capitol, Pierre, SD 57501-2536; (605) 773-4961
Brookings County, South Dakota Resources
- Brookings Area Genealogical Society
- Brookings County, South Dakota Message Boards
- Brookings County, South Dakota Genealogy Boards
Brookings County, South Dakota External Links
- South Dakota Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from South Dakota (1861–2002)
- Brookings County, South Dakota Books - Amazon
- Brookings Co., South Dakota - FindaGrave
- Brookings County, South Dakota Links - Cyndi's List
- Brookings Co. SDGenweb
- Brookings County, South Dakota Ancestry Database Collections
- Brookings County, South Dakota Military Records