American military history in New York started with the establishment of the colonial militia early on in the seventeenth century typically to battle to prevent assaults from native inhabitants. The benefits and value of New York military records in family history research for ancestors that were veterans are obvious but New York military records can also be valuable to researchers whose primary ancestors were not soldiers in any war. Mainly because of the volume of genealogical details covered in quite a few New York military pension records they should not be overlooked during the research process.
New York in the Colonial Wars
Colonial War Website Links
Revolutionary War Website Links
- Research in the Revolutionary War 1775-1783 (uswars.net)
- Organized military New York units in the Revolutionary War (uswars.net)
- Revolutionary War links from fold3.com with original data from the National Archives:
- New York Final Payment Vouchers Index for Military Pensions, 1818-1864 These slips serve as an index to final and last payments to over 65,000 veterans of the Revolutionary War and some later wars.
- New York Revolutionary War Pensions Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty-Land Warrant Application Files.
- New York Revolutionary War Prize Cases – Captured Vessels Prize cases heard on appeal from Colonial and state courts by the Continental Congress and the Court of Appeals in Cases of Capture.
- New York Revolutionary War Rolls, 1775-1783 Muster rolls, payrolls, strength returns, and other miscellaneous personnel, pay, and supply records of American Army units, 1775-83.
- New York Revolutionary War Service Records Compiled service records of soldiers who served in the American Army during the Revolutionary War, 1775-1783.
- Revolutionary War links from http://search.ancestry.com:
- New York Revolutionary War Books (amazon.com)
New York in the War of 1812
War of 1812 Website Links
New York in the Civil War
Civil War Website Links
- Research in the Civil War 1861-1865
- Civil War links from fold3.com with original data from the National Archives:
- New York Civil War Infantry Regiments and Units
- New York Civil War Cavalry Regiments and Units
- New York Civil War Artillery Regiments and Units
- Civil War links from ancestry.com:
- U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865
- New York, Civil War Muster Roll Abstracts, 1861-1900
- New York Civil War Records (1861-65)
- New York, Cartes-de-visite, 1860-1865
- The First New York (Lincoln) Cavalry : from April 19, 1861 to July 7, 1865
- The Ninth Regiment New York Volunteers (Hawkins’ Zouaves) : being a history of the regiment and veteran association from 1860
- Chronicles of the Twenty-first Regiment New York State Volunteers : embracing a full history of the regiment from the enrolling
- Historic records of the Fifth New York Cavalry, First Ira Harris Guard : its organization, marches, raids, scouts, engagements
- The story of a regiment : being a record of the military services of the Fifty-seventh New York State Volunteer Infantry
- History of the 27th Regiment N.Y. Vols. : being a record of its more than two years of service in the War for the Union
- Chronicles of the One Hundred Fifty-first Regiment New York State Volunteer Infantry, 1862-1865
- History of the One Hundred and Twelfth Regiment N.Y. volunteers
- History of the Third Regiment, Excelsior Brigade, 72d New York Volunteer Infantry, 1861-1865
- The “Dutchess County Regiment” : (150th Regiment of New York State Volunteer Infantry) in the Civil War
- Camp and field life of the Fifth New York Volunteer Infantry (Duryee Zouaves)
- Annual report of the Adjutant General of the State of New York, Vols. 1-2
- Memoirs of the 149th Regt. N.Y. Vol. Inft., 3d Brig., 2d Div., 12th and 20th A.C
- New York Colonial Muster Rolls, 1664-1775, Vol. I
- New York, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- New York Civil War Books (amazon.com)
New York Modern Wars
War Website Links
- New York, Military Service Cards, 1857-1915
- Annual report of the Adjutant-General of the State of New York, 1894-1905
- New York, World War I Veterans’ Service Data, 1913-1919
- History of the 107th Infantry, U.S.A.
- New York, WWII Enlisted Men Cards, 1940-1945
- New York Southern District, World War II Military Naturalization Index, 1941-1946
- New York Southern District Court, Korean War Military Naturalization Index, 1950-1955