Walker County, Georgia Records
Walker County, Georgia (Map It) was created on December 18,1833 from Murray County. Portions of Walker County were used to create Chattooga County in 1838 and Catoosa County in 1853. Walker County was named in honor of Major Freeman Walker (1780 - 1827), a U.S. Senator (1819 - 1821).
Walker County is bordered by Hamilton County, Tennessee (north), Catoosa County ( northeast), Whitfield County (east), Gordon County (south), Floyd County (south), Chattooga County (south), DeKalb County, Alabama (southwest), Dade County (west)
A Map of Walker County, Georgia contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Walker County, Georgia Courthouse Records
Walker County, GA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Walker county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- History of Baker County, Georgia Courthouse
- Walker County Clerk of Superior Court has Land Records from 1883 and Court Records from 1883. The County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county. Be aware that Lands were given to Georgia citizens by lotteries for the years 1805, 1807, 1820, 1821, 1827, 1832, 1832 (Gold), 1833.
- Walker County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1883 and Probate Records from 1883.The County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Walker County Tax Digests are records scanned from microfilm in the Georgia Archives.
- Walker County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
Walker County, Georgia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Georgia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (missing), 1800 (missing), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Reconstructed 1790 Census of Georgia, Georgia Census Substitutes 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1864 Census for Re-Organizing the Georgia Militia
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Walker County, Georgia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Georgia Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1919 to present.
- Marriage Records: from June 9, 1952 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. Contact the County Clerk of Superior Court.
- Locations: Georgia Division of Public Health, Vital Records, 2600 Skyland Drive NE, Atlanta, GA 30319; (404) 679-4702
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Walker County, Georgia Resources
- Walker County Historical Society, 305 S Duke St ; La Fayette , GA 30728-2936
- Delta Genealogical Society
- Walker County, Georgia Message Boards
Walker County, Georgia External Links
- Georgia Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Walker County, Georgia Books - Amazon
- Walker Co., Georgia - FindaGrave
- Georgia Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Georgia Virtual Vault - historical documents, from 1733 to the present
- Walker County, Georgia Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Georgia (1752 - 1997)
- Walker County, GA History
- Walker Co. GAGenweb
- Walker County Historical Chronology
- Walker County, Georgia Ancestry Database Collections
- Historical Maps of Walker County
- Walker County, Georgia Military Records