Thomas County, Georgia Records
Thomas County, Georgia (Map It) was created on December 23, 1825 from Decatur County and Irwin County . Portions of Thomas County were used to form Colquitt County in 1856, Brooks County in 1858, and Grady County in 1905. Thomas County was named in honor of General Jett Thomas (1776 - 1817), a hero of the War of 1812.
A Map of Thomas County, Georgia contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Thomas County, Georgia Courthouse Records
Thomas County, GA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Thomas county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- History of Baker County, Georgia Courthouse
- Thomas County Clerk of Superior Court has Land Records from 1826 and Court Records from 1826. The County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county. Be aware that Lands were given to Georgia citizens by lotteries for the years 1820, 1821, 1827, 1832, 1832 (Gold), 1833.
- Thomas County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1826 and Probate Records from 1826.The County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Thomas County Tax Digests are records scanned from microfilm in the Georgia Archives.
- Thomas County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
Thomas County, Georgia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Georgia Census Substitutes 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1864 Census for Re-Organizing the Georgia Militia
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Thomas County, Georgia Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1919 to present.
- Marriage Records: from June 9, 1952 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. Contact the County Clerk of Superior Court.
- Locations: Georgia Division of Public Health, Vital Records, 2600 Skyland Drive NE, Atlanta, GA 30319; (404) 679-4702
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Thomas County, Georgia Resources
- Thomas County Historical Society
- Thomas University Library
- Thomasville Genealogical Library
- W. D. Mitchell Camp, SCV, 10350 Springhill Rd ; Thomasville , GA 31792-8529 ; (912) 228-0985.
- Thomas County, Georgia Message Boards
Thomas County, Georgia External Links
- Georgia Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Thomas County, Georgia Books - Amazon
- Thomas Co., Georgia - FindaGrave
- Georgia Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Georgia Virtual Vault - historical documents, from 1733 to the present
- Thomas County, Georgia Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Georgia (1752 - 1997)
- Thomas County, GA History
- Thomas Co. GAGenweb
- Thomas County Historical Chronology
- Thomas County, Georgia Ancestry Database Collections
- Historical Maps of Thomas County
- Thomas County, Georgia Military Records