Montgomery County, Georgia Records
Montgomery County, Georgia (Map It) was created on December 19, 1823 from Washington County. Portions of Montgomery County were used to create the following counties: Tattnall County (1801), Emanuel County (1812), Dodge County (1870), Toombs County (1905), Wheeler County (1912), and Treutlen County (1918) . Montgomery County was named in honor of General Richard Montgomery (1738 - 75), ha ero of the Revolutionary War.
A Map of Montgomery County, Georgia contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Montgomery County, Georgia Courthouse Records
Montgomery County, GA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Montgomery county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- History of Baker County, Georgia Courthouse
- Montgomery County Clerk of Court has Land Records from 1793 and Court Records from 1794. The County Clerk of Courts has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county. Be aware that Lands were given to Georgia citizens by lotteries for the years 1820, 1821, 1827, 1832, 1832 (Gold), 1833.
- Montgomery County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1807 and Probate Records from 1794.The County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Montgomery County Tax Digests are records scanned from microfilm in the Georgia Archives.
- Montgomery County Tax Assessors office
- The Montgomery County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
Montgomery County, Georgia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Georgia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Georgia Census Substitutes 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1864 Census for Re-Organizing the Georgia Militia
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Montgomery County, Georgia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Georgia Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1919 to present.
- Marriage Records: from June 9, 1952 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. Contact the County Clerk of Superior Court.
- Locations: Georgia Division of Public Health, Vital Records, 2600 Skyland Drive NE, Atlanta, GA 30319; (404) 679-4702
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Montgomery County, Georgia Resources
Montgomery County, Georgia External Links
- Georgia Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Montgomery County, Georgia Books - Amazon
- Montgomery Co., Georgia - FindaGrave
- Georgia Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Georgia Virtual Vault - historical documents, from 1733 to the present
- Montgomery County, Georgia Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Georgia (1752 - 1997)
- Montgomery County, GA History
- Montgomery Co. GAGenweb
- Montgomery County Historical Chronology
- Montgomery County, Georgia Ancestry Database Collections
- Historical Maps of Montgomery County
- Montgomery County, Georgia Military Records