Madison County, Georgia Records
Madison County, Georgia (Map It) was created on December 5, 1811 from Clarke County, Elbert County, Franklin County, Jackson County and Oglethorpe County (between 1813 to 1877 there have been numerous transfers of land between Madison and neighboring counties ). Madison County was named in honor of James Madison (1751 - 1836), the fourth President of the United States and the chief writer of the U.S. Constitution.
Madison County is bordered by Franklin County (north), Hart County (northeast), Elbert County (east), Oglethorpe County (south), Clarke County (southwest), Jackson County (west), Banks County (northwest)
A Map of Madison County, Georgia contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Madison County, Georgia Courthouse Records
Madison County, GA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Madison county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- History of Baker County, Georgia Courthouse
- Madison County Clerk of Superior Court has Land Records from 1812 and Court Records from 1812. The County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county. Be aware that Lands were given to Georgia citizens by lotteries for the years 1820, 1821, 1827, 1832, 1832 (Gold), 1833.
- Madison County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1812 and Probate Records from 1811.The County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Madison County Tax Digests are records scanned from microfilm in the Georgia Archives.
- Madison County Tax Assessor's Office
- The Madison County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
Madison County, Georgia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Georgia Census Substitutes 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1864 Census for Re-Organizing the Georgia Militia
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Madison County, Georgia Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1919 to present.
- Marriage Records: from June 9, 1952 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. Contact the County Clerk of Superior Court.
- Locations: Georgia Division of Public Health, Vital Records, 2600 Skyland Drive NE, Atlanta, GA 30319; (404) 679-4702
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Madison County, Georgia Resources
- Madison County Heritage Foundation, P.O. Box 74, Danielsville, GA 30633; (706) 795-2017
- Madison - Morgan Cultural Center, 434 S. Main St., Madison, GA 30650; (706) 342-4743
- East Georgia Genealogical Society
- Madison County, Georgia Message Boards
Madison County, Georgia External Links
- Georgia Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Madison County, Georgia Books - Amazon
- Madison Co., Georgia - FindaGrave
- Georgia Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Georgia Virtual Vault - historical documents, from 1733 to the present
- Madison County, Georgia Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Georgia (1752 - 1997)
- Madison County, GA History
- Madison Co. GAGenweb
- Madison County Historical Chronology
- Madison County, Georgia Ancestry Database Collections
- Historical Maps of Madison County
- Madison County, Georgia Military Records